Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative Installment Accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Negative Installment Accounts

What exactly are negative installment accounts? I don't have any collections on my account but have some negative installment accounts that I'm sure are affecting my score. They are only showing up on MyFico but not other credit sites. Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Negative Installment Accounts

I believe it refers to the type of financing you would receive from places like furniture stores and such. Have you ever entered into a payment plan for furniture or appliances?
Message 2 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Do the accounts have any reported monthly delinquencies?

Negative usually refers to any payment history derogs being reported under payment history, even if the acount is now in good-standing.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

No I just looked again and they are all student loans. I think they are ones that have been cosolidated.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I looked a bit more in depth. They are from around 2010-2011. It had a period of late payment over a couple of months and then it says "Payment Status OK" as of 2011. It's confusing.

Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Then the continued showing of monthly derogs is considered negative, even if the account is currently in good-standing.

Referencing the account generally as "negative" does not determine the scoring impact.

It is the impact of the individual derogs that affects scoring.

Monthly delinquencies that are very old are likely having little scoring impact.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Do closed accounts negatively affect your score?

Message 7 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Closing does not remove any derogs reported on the account.

Yes, closed accounts can continue to negatively affect scoring.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.