Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative results to cosigning past loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Negative results to cosigning past loan

This is my first post. I have a question for anyone who has experience or some knowledge. 6 years ago I co-signed an auto loan with a relative (4/2008). It was a 3yr lease for a new car and I was young with very good credit and I helped her. Unfortunately, payments were not being made on-time and I remember receiving a phone call from the creditor regarding the issue when it was time for the last payment to paid (4/2011). As you could imagine, I was irate because there was a large unpaid amount that I had to fork up to pay and close the account. Years later, I truly realized the negative effects of co-signing a loan with someone. To this day the only negative marks are the 10 late payments (2 past 60days, and 8 past 30days). Fortunately, my credit score is mid 700s, but could be a lot higher. 

I recently contacted the lender to request that I would be "forgiven" for some of these late payments" (due to the fact I was just the co-signer and not the account-holder). I am currently waiting for a response. Does anyone know what other things I could do to lessen the damage to my credit score? I was thinking of writing letters to each credit bureau explaining my situation in hopes of them forgiving some of these inquiries or removing my name of the original account, if possible. Any advice would be truly appreciated! Thx in advance.  

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Negative results to cosigning past loan

Locking to direct others to same topic:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Fixing-past-mistake-due-to-co-signing-a-loan/...

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.