cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Credit Card, reports balance but no limit and FICO impact.

tag
Fizzled
Valued Member

New Credit Card, reports balance but no limit and FICO impact.

Hi all, first post on the forum.

I recently signed up for a new card through a local credit union to get more information on my report amongst other reasons. My only credit account previously  is a low-limit Cap One card that I got when I turned 18 (I'm 21) and has been stuck at the same place since with regard to limit and post CCR Act of 2009 interest rate  (not that I've ever paid interest on it). However, I did not understand the statement date range correctly so I was only 7 days into the account when  the statement period closed and reported utilization of 50% of the actual limit since I charge all my purchases for organizational/security reasons. 

Though, according to Scorewatch/MyFico the limit isn't/hasn't been reported at all regardless on the new account. 

This sent my score from 749 > 722. Previous to this, the FICO score simulator said my 749 would go to 759-799 if I were to pay down the balance on my Cap One card to 1-9%; it was at the time of the report  19%.

I've read that when limits are not reported, FICO uses the highest balance as the limit.

My questions are:

Is it possible that the limit will be reported on some other date? I called the union and the rep wasn't sure as to specific reporting practices. I'm supposed to hear back on this. 

Would it be beneficial or detrimental to max out the card to report the high balance *if the limit does not report*? I'm currently considering moving within the next month or two and would  need to be filling out lease applications. My concern is that a maxed out credit card balance reported within recent months may cause a prospective landlord to reconsider my application; I've only had balances 1-19% for 2 years previous to have something to report and then PIF during the interest free grace period so this activity would be highly anomalous.

In any event, I won't have an issue paying the balances down on both card to 1% for the sake of reporting (I noticed my score stays higher on simulator if I leave a very small balance to be paid during the grace period... which is what i've always done). So, if the current balance reported is going to be my assumed limit it's not going to be that big a deal in the scope of things. However, I would like the additional 'buffer' in the event I do need to carry a balance. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Bankrupt2019
Established Contributor

Re: New Credit Card, reports balance but no limit and FICO impact.

Im no expert, but I have a lease on a nice apartment (new luxury apartment in big city), apartment and got it with a 633 credit score and a fair amount of debt....all they really care about on lease applications, from what I can tell is that you don't miss payments. Though I could be wrong. sorry if this wasn't helpful.

Message 2 of 3
Fizzled
Valued Member

Re: New Credit Card, reports balance but no limit and FICO impact.

Yeah, most of the places I've inquired with the most strict say 700+ is fine. You can be lower but they require a cosigner, double deposit and/or may require that you make a higher multiple of the rent in income. Unforunately the people I know that would cosign for me I don't want to put them in that position,  a double deposit in San Diego is a lot of dead money that's not earning any sort of return (for me anyway). 

I'm 21 with a high score but really limited credit history. I need as many factors in my favor as possible to be considered over other applicants I would think. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.