Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Joint Owner Status?????

tag
thorice
New Contributor

New Joint Owner Status?????

My wife has a couple of store cards in which she is the primary owner that has been opened since 2001 in good status. If I call and asked to be a joint owner would this be an inquiry since they has to check my credit. And also would this boost my score?Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Joint Owner Status?????

thorice wrote:
My wife has a couple of store cards in which she is the primary owner that has been opened since 2001 in good status. If I call and asked to be a joint owner would this be an inquiry since they has to check my credit. And also would this boost my score?Smiley Happy

You can't call the stores; your wife has to authorize your application.  You would get a hard inquiry because you're applying for a joint account -- you'll be liable for the charges if she doesn't pay.

It may help your score (unless it's already golden) to be a joint accountholder, provided the account stays in good status.  On the other hand, your score may take a short-term hit for the inquiry +  having new credit.  It's hard to make any generalizations without knowing the rest of your credit record ...

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.