Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Member/Slightly New to Credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Member/Slightly New to Credit

Hello. I'm writing on here because I have a few questions and concerns about credit in general. I bank with USAA (active duty service member) and have their Premium Credit Monitoring and monthly free credit report update. Here's my current situation. That program shows me a TransUnion score of 721. I'm in the process of buying a new vehicle. Ordering it while I'm overseas. They ran my credit as part of the loan application and sent me an e-mail saying I have a TransUnion score of 645. I'm rather confused by this. I'm assuming they ran my FICO score. When I saw this, I instantlly went and bought a one-time 3-report check from FICO. Numbers matched.

I'm just wondering why there's so much difference when it's the same exact things on all reports. Either from USAA or FICO. I understand there's probably different calculations but at the same time, that makes no sense. Just have a simple way to figure out scores so people (me in this instance) aren't left looking like they have great credit from one source then another makes them look horrible when it comes to money and credit.

Help or advice is appreciated.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Re: New Member/Slightly New to Credit

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello. I'm writing on here because I have a few questions and concerns about credit in general. I bank with USAA (active duty service member) and have their Premium Credit Monitoring and monthly free credit report update. Here's my current situation. That program shows me a TransUnion score of 721. I'm in the process of buying a new vehicle. Ordering it while I'm overseas. They ran my credit as part of the loan application and sent me an e-mail saying I have a TransUnion score of 645. I'm rather confused by this. I'm assuming they ran my FICO score. When I saw this, I instantlly went and bought a one-time 3-report check from FICO. Numbers matched.

I'm just wondering why there's so much difference when it's the same exact things on all reports. Either from USAA or FICO. I understand there's probably different calculations but at the same time, that makes no sense. Just have a simple way to figure out scores so people (me in this instance) aren't left looking like they have great credit from one source then another makes them look horrible when it comes to money and credit.

Help or advice is appreciated.

Who is "they"? As in, "They ran my credit as part of the loan application and sent me an e-mail saying I have a TransUnion score of 645."

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 2 of 3
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: New Member/Slightly New to Credit

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm just wondering why there's so much difference when it's the same exact things on all reports. 

While scores are based on data in reports different scoring models produce different results.  Most CMS's (including USAA's CCMP) provide FAKO's and not FICO's.  Make sure you're comparing apples to apples.  The scoring model, the CRA used and the dates that the scores were generated all have impacts on the score.  Don't rely on one model to determine the score generated by a completely different model (even when comparing different FICO models).

@Anonymous wrote:

I understand there's probably different calculations but at the same time, that makes no sense. 

If you understand then it should make sense.  Unless the models you are comparing are identical they will not produce the same results.  Differences can vary not only based on scoring models but the data in one's reports as a given model may place greeater weight on different factors than another model.

That's why relying on specific scores is pointless IMO.  You can pull FICO's from myFICO but creditors may use different scoring models than what myFICO provides.  I always recommend focusing on the data in your reports.

@Anonymous wrote:

Just have a simple way to figure out scores so people (me in this instance) aren't left looking like they have great credit from one source then another makes them look horrible when it comes to money and credit.

Unfortunately there's no such thing.  Unless you know the exact model used by the creditor is assessing your credit and can purchase a score using that exact model there will be discrepancies in the numbers.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.