Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SSN

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New SSN

My spouse just got her SSN 4 months ago. She applied for sears card but it got declined. However she got a credit card from Discover for $3000.

I am not sure how much her credit score is OR the score at which a person with new SSN begins with. ? Does transferring utilities on her name help any bit ? The catch is utility firms are asking her to pay a deposit of $220 for power, $60 for gas etc. I dont have to pay any of the deposits if I take them on my name given my credit history.

Anyone experienced similar situation, thoughts ?

Message 1 of 2
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New SSN

Each lender is different. Sears may have frowned on the empty credit file while Discover was willing to give a shot. YMMV.

Generally, utilities do not report to her CR. So, switching it in her name won't likely help.

If you have a pristine history on CCs, then maybe you could add her as an AU. That could help with her history. Otherwise, she can easily get a 700+ score w/ just the one CC. Apping for more won't help her (other than maybe mix of credit) because history is the most important component here. She lacks the history and only time can fix that.

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New SSN

Each lender is different. Sears may have frowned on the empty credit file while Discover was willing to give a shot. YMMV.

Generally, utilities do not report to her CR. So, switching it in her name won't likely help.

If you have a pristine history on CCs, then maybe you could add her as an AU. That could help with her history. Otherwise, she can easily get a 700+ score w/ just the one CC. Apping for more won't help her (other than maybe mix of credit) because history is the most important component here. She lacks the history and only time can fix that.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.