cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Secure Checking Plus from USAA includes Credit Monitoring?

tag
migo13
Contributor

New Secure Checking Plus from USAA includes Credit Monitoring?

I noticed an upgrade button on my account and decided to look at the new account USAA is offering:

Upgrade to Secure Checking Plus to get identity protection, a new debit card with increased purchase protection and more — all for just $9.95 a month!

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/bank_checking_account_plus_main

I currently have the regular checking, but I also  have the USAA Credit Monitoring which allows me to pull a report from each bureau every day. The rep said the credit monitoring is the same service, and that I could pull a report daily - which I find hard to believe since Experian recently changed this service to monthly pulls instead of daily. I had to call to make sure my account didn't change over.

If it is the same service, however, I could save a few dollars a month and get the other benefits of the Secure Checking Plus. Has anyone else called about this or already opened an account? Let's here some feedback.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
scarzy
Regular Contributor

Re: New Secure Checking Plus from USAA includes Credit Monitoring?

If it lets me do a daily pull, then I will do this! When I read it again, it only says daily monitoring.
starting EQ FICO : 526 current EQ FICO : 640 starting TU FICO: 538 current TU FICO : 656

My wallet: Capital One cash rewards $1,300- ~ NFCU signature cash rewards $5,000- ~ NFCU nRewards $5,000- ~ NFCU LOC $1,000- ~ Target $200- ~ Kohl's $300- ~ Walmart $800- ~ Amazon $900- ~ Updated 6/2013

Discharged Ch7 Nov.16, 2012

Message 2 of 7
migo13
Contributor

Yeah that was my concern as well. I currently get daily pulls with their regular credit monitoring service. Would be nice to consolidate, but not at the expense of losing my daily pulls.

Message 3 of 7
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@migo13 wrote:

I noticed an upgrade button on my account and decided to look at the new account USAA is offering:

Upgrade to Secure Checking Plus to get identity protection, a new debit card with increased purchase protection and more — all for just $9.95 a month!

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/bank_checking_account_plus_main

I currently have the regular checking, but I also  have the USAA Credit Monitoring which allows me to pull a report from each bureau every day. The rep said the credit monitoring is the same service, and that I could pull a report daily - which I find hard to believe since Experian recently changed this service to monthly pulls instead of daily. I had to call to make sure my account didn't change over.

If it is the same service, however, I could save a few dollars a month and get the other benefits of the Secure Checking Plus. Has anyone else called about this or already opened an account? Let's here some feedback.

I saw this too.  I don't think it is worth with it.  I don't like having monthly fees tied to my bank accounts.  The fee could be justified by some people due to the credit monitoring and other features, but I don't think it is good for me cuz I can cancell my 3rd party CMS at anytime if I don't want it anymore or if I need the money.  But having to pay 120 dollars a year in fees for the added features then if I am in a financial mess and I could really use that extra $9.99 a month, I would have to cancell the bank account and move to their free account.  Sounds like a hassel for me.   

The only thing I do like about this is the MC World debit card that comes with it. 

Message 4 of 7
Heather928
New Visitor

Does the world debit card for the secure checking plus look different from the free checking account card? Could someone post a picture? I have the free checking account and the usaa logo has rubbed off so it now looks like one of my other credit cards and I always get them mixed up. I am willing to upgrade accounts if they look different.

Message 5 of 7
richardvf
New Visitor

You do not need to open a new checking account if you downgrade, so there is really no inconvenience if you decide that the $9.95 monthly fee outweighs the benefits.  Personally, I think the the Secure Checking Plus account is an awesome deal.  For $9.95 a month both my wife and I get identity fraud monitoring and credit monitoring of all three bureaus from Protectmyid, quarterly credit reports and Plus scores from Experian and a upgraded debit World MasterCard that looks pretty cool. 

Message 6 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@migo13 wrote:

currently have the regular checking, but I also  have the USAA Credit Monitoring which allows me to pull a report from each bureau every day. The rep said the credit monitoring is the same service

They're definitely not the same service.  From the link you posted:

Access to a copy of your Experian credit report and score every 90 days to help keep track of each account holder's credit activity.

That's just one CRA and only every 90 days.  Link above indicates that it's ProtectMyID monitoring which is a different service.  See here -- CreditCheck Monitoring and ProtectMyID are on two separate tabs:

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/creditcheck_monitoring_main?wa_ref=pub_global_products_bank_creditmo...

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.