Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New USAA CreditCheck Service!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New USAA CreditCheck Service!

For those of you with USAA membership, check out the new CreditCheck service!

They rolled it out on Monday (August 10th) as a replacement to their old credit monitoring service. They now provide a monthly Experian VantageScore 3.0 and monthly Experian credit report free for ALL members. You still have the option to pay for a monthly 3-Bureau VantageScore and report.

Personally, I am sticking with the free option, because it perfectly supplements the Transunion and Equifax data that I can get from CreditKarma. Also their dashboard is very intuitive and they provide daily score monitoring and a credit score simulator. The folks at USAA have also created a new tile for your main accounts page that displays your historical credit score data along with factors that are helping or hurting it.

Pretty good stuff!

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

Re: New USAA CreditCheck Service!

jpb_24 wrote:

They rolled it out on Monday (August 10th) as a replacement to their old credit monitoring service. They now provide a monthly Experian VantageScore 3.0 and monthly Experian credit report free for ALL members. You still have the option to pay for a monthly 3-Bureau VantageScore and report.

Personally, I am sticking with the free option, because it perfectly supplements the Transunion and Equifax data that I can get from CreditKarma. Also their dashboard is very intuitive and they provide daily score monitoring and a credit score simulator. The folks at USAA have also created a new tile for your main accounts page that displays your historical credit score data along with factors that are helping or hurting it.

Pretty good stuff!

Thanks for this.  I was looking for a free EX monitoring to supplement CK

EDIT:  Just looked at it and I see they give you a montly Vantage score and ANNUAL credit report for free.  You only get the monthly EX report if you pay the $7.95/month

Message 2 of 21
Cotton_Britches
Frequent Contributor

Vantage score isn't a real score, though.
“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the heads up!

Message 4 of 21
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Cotton_Britches wrote:
Vantage score isn't a real score, though.

It's real.  It's just not clear which creditors actually use it in credit decisions as claimed.

Don't rely on oversimplifcations such as "real" and "fake" and focus on relevance instead.  Even with FICO models a given creditor may only use one specific model and other FICO's would not be relevant.

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JagerBombs89 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Pretty good stuff!

Thanks for this.  I was looking for a free EX monitoring to supplement CK

EDIT:  Just looked at it and I see they give you a montly Vantage score and ANNUAL credit report for free.  You only get the monthly EX report if you pay the $7.95/month

Ah good catch...I apologize for the misinformation above regarding annual vs monthly on the free report.

Still, the monthly score seems to definitely be a step up from the VantageScore they were offering to their credit card holders. Seems like the data they were pulling for that was always about 2-3 months old. I am hoping that they update this score in a timely manner.

Message 6 of 21
Bmac66
Frequent Contributor

This is timely. I have 2 credit cards with USAA and the free score they're providing when I click on one of my accounts hasn't been updated since 6/27.  Who do they pull? EX?  If so, it's way off. They have me at 617 when MyFico has my EX at 691. 

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bmac66 wrote:

This is timely. I have 2 credit cards with USAA and the free score they're providing when I click on one of my accounts hasn't been updated since 6/27.  Who do they pull? EX?  If so, it's way off. They have me at 617 when MyFico has my EX at 691. 

It's off because it isn't a Fico score.

Message 8 of 21
Bmac66
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Bmac66 wrote:

It's off because it isn't a Fico score.

They give us our Vantage score which is basically worthless. No creditor uses it.  AmEx is now giving us a free Fico score from TU, and it's right on the money! Now that's providing a useful free service!

Message 9 of 21
ddemari
Super Contributor

I have had the USAA monitoring program for a while. I have been trying to log in for a while but the message said that services were down till this week.

I logged in today and it has no info for me yet. So it must be taking a little while to update my info. 

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.