Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New VISA Check Card Commercials

tag
Neblett
Regular Contributor

New VISA Check Card Commercials

Anyone else bothered by the new VISA check card commercials, the ones that show life moving so smoothly, as long as you have a VISA check card?

I don't mind the primary message that having a card like that makes things easier, but it's the end of the commercials that REALLY burn me. Everything is running like clockwork (a little too idyllic and Stepford-y for my own tastes) and then someone gums up the works by... paying for something with CASH!!!!! Horror!!

What message does this send the commercial's audience?

And, to be honest, most of my money probs in the last 2 years have been due to overuse of my check card - buying things and then discovering the bank let me charge too much, so now my checking account is overdrawn, and I'm hit with overdraft and NSF fees (especially if I wrote an actual check or scheduled an automatic bill pay somewhere in the midst of my check card spending) that drive me further into debt, because my next paycheck has to cover $30-90 dollars in fees for purchases that may have only cost $12 collectively.

Anyway, I'm probably being too sensitive, but I think these commercials are irresponsible. We have a national crisis/epidemic of credit debt on our hands, and I think advertising campaigns like this one only add fuel to the fire.

There should at least be some kind of disclaimer to use check cards responsibly (like beer ads) or something - I'm sure there's small print at the bottom of the screen I'm not seeing during the commercial.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New VISA Check Card Commercials

I understand what you mean and I agree with you. This is why consumers have to be very vigilant in protecting their finances and not letting the cc industry into our pockets so easily. I can honestly say that the few money problems that I have had in my entire life have been soley my fault for being greedy and careless with my money which in turn led to me paying higher interest to the cc companies. I look at it as a cat and mouse game between the consumer and the cc companies to see who can outwit who.
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's just as fast to pay with cash.  And paying with cash eliminates the ability to overspend, putting you in complete control of  your spending.  Credit card companies don't want you to do that because, in theory, if everybody quit using credit cards, they would not make money. 

I don't like the Visa commercials either.

Message 3 of 16
SoulSmilen
Regular Contributor

A check card is not a credit card, so no, I don't see the commercials the same way - they don't bother me at all. To me my check card IS cash, I just don't have to carry cash around. Check/Debit cards are easier on everyone all the way through the system from the purchaser to the purchasee, the clearing house, and back to the originating bank.

It's also safer for the cashier to have debit/check card receipts in the drawer as opposed to cash.

I will never understand the problem with people spending more than they have because of using debit cards, either, because I am MORE aware of my money than I was when I wrote checks. I can tell you day to day exactly what's in there and I haven't balanced a checking account in over 7 years. There's no need when I'm watching it daily and know what goes in and out. I've had the same box of checks for literally 6 years and am just now on the last book.

Easier? By far!

Message 4 of 16
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

The part I hate about debit cards is the HUGE fees if you screw up and go over the limit by 1 cent.

But I love the fact I can use my company credit card for everything, even a cup of coffee in the airport  Smiley Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 5 of 16
SoulSmilen
Regular Contributor

MidnightVoice wrote:
The part I hate about debit cards is the HUGE fees if you screw up and go over the limit by 1 cent.

But I love the fact I can use my company credit card for everything, even a cup of coffee in the airport  Smiley Happy

But that's my point, entirely. It's a cash card and there shouldn't be any going over the limit. The card is worth only as much as you have in the bank, and if one runs that close to 0 balance at the bank, that's a bigger problem than the fees, IMO.
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 1(one) debit card that is attached to my checking acc. with my bank. I can never be overdrawn!! will be declined if money isn't in ck acc. My understanding between using a debit or a CC.
If you buy with a debit it is over (same as cash) if buying with a CC and there is a problem you can dispute with the CCC. I only use my debit for things like drug store or grocery store.
 I have had big problems with someone charging my CC (things I did not order online) I notified CCC & they removed all charges. When it happened a second time they removed it ,them closed my acc & issued another.All fin charges were removed also.
If my debit card had been used I might never get the money back.
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

bb&t will approve anything and everything you put on your debit card, whether there is cash to cover it or not.  then they will charge you 35 dollars per transaction that is over the limit.  each night when they run your account, they will make sure to debit the highest charge first, then the next highest, and so forth, so that they can get as many 35 dollar fees as possible if you were to overdraw.  to make it worse, if you made a deposit that same day, they will credit the deposit last to ensure that you accumulate as many nsf fees as possible.  i had a client who got nailed by them in the exact manner i just described...fortunately we were able to negotiate a waiver of the nsf fees.
Message 8 of 16
SoulSmilen
Regular Contributor

I understand what you're saying dog, but it's still not the fault of the bank or using debit cards. People know how much money is in their account and should not spend more than is available, period. If they don't know how much is there, that's a bigger problem and again, is not the fault of anyone other than the account holder.

Deposits usually take a couple days to post, that's common knowledge. Technically, they can take longer to credit deposits, but not many banks do this anymore unless it's a personal check, from a 3rd party, etc. It's a system we all live by and that's just the rules; if a person can't live by the rules, they should find another bank and/or keep more cash on hand.
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

i agree with you soul.  i treat my debit card like a checkbook, and keep it balanced.  however, i still think it is hokey that the bank will approve a transaction that it knows is nsf.  the transaction should be denied, simple as that.

and you miss my point re the deposits.....i am not disputing that deposits can take a few days to post; however, bb&t specifically and intentionally posts all debits before any deposits that have cleared that same day.  so, let's say i have a 0 account balance....if i deposit a 1000 check on monday that clears on wednesday morning, but i use my debit card 5 times wednesday afternoon....wednesday night they will post my 5 debits, charge me 175 dollars, then post my deposit that cleared hours before the debits.  that is sleazy. 

SoulSmilen wrote:
I understand what you're saying dog, but it's still not the fault of the bank or using debit cards. People know how much money is in their account and should not spend more than is available, period. If they don't know how much is there, that's a bigger problem and again, is not the fault of anyone other than the account holder.

Deposits usually take a couple days to post, that's common knowledge. Technically, they can take longer to credit deposits, but not many banks do this anymore unless it's a personal check, from a 3rd party, etc. It's a system we all live by and that's just the rules; if a person can't live by the rules, they should find another bank and/or keep more cash on hand.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.