Valued Contributor
Duncanrr

New account hit - how long?

When you open a new credit card account how long does the new account and inquiry hurt your scores? 6 months? I know the inquiry impacts for 1 year. Will I bounce back from new account status at 6 month point?

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 710 TU 727 EX 704 CK 719(FAKO-EX 697, EQ 697, TU 697)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: New account hit - how long?

IME, I gained when I added my first 3 CCs and lost on the rest. Util changes aside, that loss varied due to length of time previuos accounts wre opened, util, scoring bucket, impact to AAoA, and so on. I lost an average of 20-25 points per account opened (assuming I didn't go on a spree). These were most entirely due to the new account, and not the inquiry (IME). I've found that most of the points returned within 6 months with the remainder by a year.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}