cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New and need some help [approved for Blue] Thank you ! :)

tag
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Re: New and need some help

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

Not having been declined for any Amex card, I cannot speak from personal experience. It's just that what you're saying is news to me. You might be right nevertheless of course, but if you are, that's a way to get your free credit score from Amex, which could be the otherwise almost always unattainable EX FICO: "Thanks to a new rule that’s part of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, if you’re denied for a credit card, the lender must provide you with a copy of the credit score that was used to make the decision about your application." Is there really such a thing as a free lunch? In any event, I hope OP (he or she) gets approved. Smiley Very Happy

PS: come to think of it, my logic was that the type of inquiry, hard or soft, is known before that inquiry makes it known whether you have been approved or declined?

the inquiry never makes it known. 

and yes amex policy is soft pull on all apps 

and only hard pull when a new tl is added.in my experience.

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 21 of 36
jamie123
Valued Contributor

AMEX only does it this way if you are already a current AMEX member applying for another one of their cards.

They soft pull you after you apply. If you are declined the card it stays a soft pull. If you are approved for the card they hard pull you. The hard pull sometimes doesn't appear on your report immediately if they are still doing a manual review for approval.

AMEX has the most sophisticated internal scoring of any credit card company. Apparently by keeping track of how you use your current card they can project how you would handle one of their other cards.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 22 of 36
galaxy
Established Member

ok, here is an update, 

today EX dropped my only bad record and my EX score jumped to 736

now scores are  EX 736, EQ 736, TU 736, while myfico score still 725

my current balance is $6100 and I will pay it on the 10th of this month

how long should I wait before I make my move and apply for the blue ?

Regards

Message 23 of 36
galaxy
Established Member

Re: New and need some help [approved for Blue] Thank you ! :)

OK, as promissed, an update,

I waited until I paid all the balance, and the last bad record droped, my score went up to FICO 745 and EX 736

very important to pay your balance, thank you guys 

then I applied to Amex Blue Pre. Online, got " your application need further process" ! 

checked the application status and I was approved and should get the card within 7-10 days, can't wait to check my credit limit 

I am planing to apply for another Amex Delta Card within the next week

Regards

Message 24 of 36
HiLine
Blogger

Do you mean the Amex Gold Delta Skymiles? I would wait to either apply in January to benefit from backdating or apply when there is a better sign-up bonus offer on the card.

Message 25 of 36
galaxy
Established Member

Thank you, I thought of that and canceled the application before they process it [ no pulls ] Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 36
HiLine
Blogger

Np. Smiley Happy How do you cancel an application to not get a hard pull? Didn't know that was possible Smiley Happy

Message 27 of 36
galaxy
Established Member

well I think I was very lucky,, I applied for it after the BLUE , same day, got msg to call them

called them, and they told me because I made 2 apps @ same day the system blocked the 2nd app for 4 days to ensure no frad or idenity thift, and its not even processed or checked my score ! I asked if I can cancel the app without any effect and they said YES ! its not even processed yet,

So I did !! Smiley Happy

Message 28 of 36
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Congrats!

Sorry I'm late to this, I haven't been online much.

You did great!

Now you need to apply for the Walmart card. The reason you want the Walmart card is for good credit line increases. You will also get a free monthly TU 08 FICO score after signing up for electronic bill pay. You stated that you shop there a few times a month so that is also a good reason to get this card. You need to have a minimum of 3 credit cards reporting to maximize your scores.

Now....Remember this! When your AMEX BCE turns 61 days old, call customer service and ask for a credit line increase to 3 times your current credit line. They will give it to you beleive it or not!

Stop back and let us know how it goes.

Message 29 of 36
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Wow! I just read your other thread! Great starting credit line!

Forget what I said in the previous post about the 3 times CLI. You can only get to 25K without filling out special paperwork.

I would still suggest that you apply for the Walmart card though. You do need 3 cards and you do shop there.

Awesome!

Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.