Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New credit laws coming into effect

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New credit laws coming into effect

One of those laws state that medical collection won't be reported for 180 days 

"Medical debts won’t be reported until after a 180-day “waiting period” to allow insurance payments to be applied. The CRAs will also remove from credit reports previously reported medical collections that have been or are being paid by insurance."

Is this retroactive for those who didn't get 180 day grace period prior to this being in effect? 

Reason I'm asking is 1 have 1 on my CR and it went to a collection agency within 1 month, DOFD 5/2012 date assigned 6/2012. It is a paid medical collection. How i even got this I don't know. Its been so long ago. I've always had insurance, and also a FSA to cover co pays. but before I found myfico I just paid it and called it a day a couple years ago. Knowing what I know now, I would have done things diffrently. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: New credit laws coming into effect

It is not actually a new law.

It is a new procedure agreed to by the CRAs that stemmed from a consent agreement originally between the office of the AG of New York State in Jan 2015, and then broadened to a larger agreement with multiple state AGs.

In implementing the agreements, the CRAs published a document called the "National Consumer Assistance Plan" last year.

It included their policy to wait 180 days after delinquency occurs on a medical collection before including in credit reports they issue, and to additionally discontinue inclusion of collections if paid by a medical insuror.

It also iincluded the removal of collections already reported that meet the less than 180 day or the paid by insuror criterion.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.