Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New credit score, today I got my Social security number

tag
Raziel77
Regular Contributor

New credit score, today I got my Social security number

Hello, I've been living in USA for 2 years, I have a free checking account in Washington mutual since 2006 and I have their debit card, that's it.

Today I received my social security number, will I have a Fico credit score? or I must wait? or I should apply for a credit card?

can I make use of the checking account? I can call the bank and give them my Social Security number and they can report the account age to the credit score Bureau, giving me a good history?
TU: 738
EQ: 721
EX: 732 Plus score
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New credit score, today I got my Social security number

Raziel77 wrote:
Hello, I've been living in USA for 2 years, I have a free checking account in Washington mutual since 2006 and I have their debit card, that's it.

Today I received my social security number, will I have a Fico credit score? or I must wait? or I should apply for a credit card?

can I make use of the checking account? I can call the bank and give them my Social Security number and they can report the account age to the credit score Bureau, giving me a good history?

Congrats on the SSN!

You will not have a score as nothing should be reporting to your CRs. Asking the bank to report won't help any as they don't report checking, savings, or investment accounts.

You'd really need to establish credit before you can get a score. I'd recommend applying for a secured CC somewhere (or try unsecured first). After you receive the card, then wait 6 months, and a new FICO score could report. One of the minimum requirements for a FICO score is to have an open account for at least 6 months.

Message 2 of 7
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

i dont think its that easy, with you a having a fresh new ssn, you will probably have to build credit for atleast 6 months before you can generate a credit score. Because the way it looks right now, is you have NO credit. So the best thing would do is to apply for maybe 1 or 2 card companies,  someone like Bank of america, citi cards, because they even offer secured cards, better yet your bank who you've been with my be more apt to grant you a credit card so definitely try them. Good Luck!

Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 3 of 7
Raziel77
Regular Contributor

Thank you so much... I will do as you told me... but I'm afraid that my credit card will be denied due to lack of history, which will make my score even worse maybe -ve score lol
any advice for a good credit card for one with limited credit history? "not bad score"
what about stores credit cards? I heard they are bad for my future score... but they might accept me easily due to history lack
TU: 738
EQ: 721
EX: 732 Plus score
Message 4 of 7
ScoreBooster
Frequent Contributor

I was in the same boat when I moved to the US several years ago.

I strongly suggest secured credit-cards and loans. I highly doubt you will be approved for store-cards. I tried it with Sears and got denied.

I started with Plains VISA (I know, high fees but I still got it - it truely helped me) and Auto-Loan from Ford Credit (yes, they approved me WITHOUT credit due to a high down-payment).

You can also try New Millennium Bank (secured card) or your local CUs to get secured loans and CCs.

After 6 months, you will have a score. My first one was a 680 - not too bad for 6 months of history.

Message 5 of 7
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Try the bank you use or a local credit union - they tend to be more helpful
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is one tip:

start small and build..

one website will give anyone credit regardless.  You have to buy something small and ask for choose & charge account.    if you have no credit or bad they will send a letter asking you to pay 30% or 50% of the total (buy something small at first to pay off)  and they will approve you for a 400$ credit limit.

Use you Bank's auto bill payer and make the rest of the payments.  Do this for a few month's  then go to a larger account.

I first bought something when i was 16 from their catalog and not knowing they give me credit/ never used it either.

The day after i turned 18 i got a department store card with a 3k $ limit.  

There website is: www.seventhavenue.com, www.midnightvelvet.com; www.swisscolony.com; www.ginnys.com; www.monroeandmain.com;

Hope this helps someone!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.