Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New med bills popping up after PIF

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New med bills popping up after PIF

Three weeks ago I contacted the OC for my med bills & got a full reckoning of all DOS, and all amt's due. Then, I called the CA that was handling two of the bills (CA was hired to collect, but had not bought the debts and was so far only reporting 2 out of 9 on my CR) and they, too, had that same list of bills - same am'ts, same DOS. I paid all nine to the CA and called today to verify the OC had been informed. Now, when I call back & go over all accounts, they are all showing zero, but suddenly OC is showing ANOTHER bill, for $409.

I can't DV the OC, but I sure find it funny that I've had no less than three convo's w/ OC and not once was this $409 mentioned. Plus, a long convo w/ CA and no mention of this debt, either. Am I totally crazy to start feeling like there might be a conspiracy to sock people who pay big $$ with more made-up debts to see if they'll cough up more dough?

I don't want this to end up w/ the CA and show on my CR, but I haven't quite figured out what procedure I use for a questionable debt that is still w/ the OC. Can I get some quick links to threads that cover this or advice, please?

-Ivy
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New med bills popping up after PIF

I can only say 1 thing to that....

Lethal Weapon.....Joe Pesci....

"They fudge you at the drive through..."   "they know you'll be miles away before you know you got fudged, they know you're not going to turn around so they don't care, you know who gets fudged, Leo Getz"

They know that you care about your credit and they know you won't stop paying now....  That sucks...I would check to make sure it's not a duplicate bill. (I almost paid a collection for $1300 because they double billed for the procedure and showed were insurance wasn't going to pay for the bill....of course they wouldn't it was already paid.)
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

right on, Minnesota. That's exactly how I feel right now. How interesting that I throw up $2K to clear my name with them, and then I turn around to find they need MORE money...
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You know...they could even be trying to collect debts older than 7 years....they still have a right to ask for it...they just can't report it to cra's.....I'd definately dv
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call the OC and ask for date of service, patient, provider, etc.  Are you near the OC? Go up and request a copy of all billing and/or medical records. Just tell them that you don't have anything pertaining to this debt and would like this information for your records so you can look over everything.

Also, ask for an itemized statement. Most people don't do this. However, when my son was in the hospital, we asked for this and you'd be surprised at things being billed for that he didnt receive and some were dated the day AFTER he went home.

Message Edited by sidewinder on 04-18-2008 04:56 AM
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

i have a similar problem. pif 2 of them two more popped up!!! just on transunion though but still!!!  the open date is 2002 and 2003. is that considered the dofd?
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

FIGURED IT OUT.

Got the itemization of ALL the bills I'd asked for about three weeks ago in today's mail. I had requested it in one of my first convos w/ OC.

This bill I referenced above was originally $682 and was sent to a CA, Jon Barry & Associates last year. I called JB&A and paid it, settled for $409 in early February of this year (pre-FICO days). This is also why the other CA (Medical Data Systems) had no record of it...

Because it's still owned by the OC, they've just hired the CA to collect on it, and I was able to get it in the pile of statements I requested.

This is how the statement reads:

TOTAL CHARGES: 682.25
JBA BD ADJ: -272.90 --- (I can imagine that stands for "Jon Barry & Associates BD Adjustment...)

TOTAL PAYMENTS/ADJUSTMENTS: -272.90
ACCOUNT BALANCE: 409.35

SO, instead of crediting my entire payment to the CA of $409, they have only credited the difference between the original am't & the CA's settlement offer.
Interesting... I think if I didn't have a background in medical billing I would have been dumb enough to pay this again at some point..

I will assume that was just an entry error that some new girl in billing made, and kindly call and inform them of my payments. This is probably why they denied my GW two weeks ago, too...
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.