Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to USA, Trying to buld Credit History

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New to USA, Trying to buld Credit History

Hi All,

I just arrived in USA this December and I'm trying to build a good credit score. Currently I have no credit history. For starters, I have been approved for a Wells Fargo Secured credit card. My question is which of these options would be best to build a good credit score:

1) Not use the credit card at all.

(OR)

2) Use the credit card maximum up to 10% of the credit limit and the pay the due amount before the credit card statement is generated. (This would show no payment required in the statement)

(OR)

3) Use the credit card maximum up to 10% of the credit limit and the pay the due amount after the credit card statement is generated but before the due date.

Please let me know what you think, if you have other suggestions too, please let me know.

I don't really need a credit card as I can manage with my Bank account/debit card, but need a credit history for renting an apartment/utilities etc.

Thanks..

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New to USA, Trying to buld Credit History

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi All,

I just arrived in USA this December and I'm trying to build a good credit score. Currently I have no credit history. For starters, I have been approved for a Wells Fargo Secured credit card. My question is which of these options would be best to build a good credit score:

1) Not use the credit card at all.

(OR)

2) Use the credit card maximum up to 10% of the credit limit and the pay the due amount before the credit card statement is generated. (This would show no payment required in the statement)

(OR)

3) Use the credit card maximum up to 10% of the credit limit and the pay the due amount after the credit card statement is generated but before the due date.

Please let me know what you think, if you have other suggestions too, please let me know.

I don't really need a credit card as I can manage with my Bank account/debit card, but need a credit history for renting an apartment/utilities etc.

Thanks..

Either 2 or 3 will grow your score but 3 might be a little better.  With one card I would just focus on using the card even if you go above 10 percent just make sure you PIF by due date.

good luck and welcome to the US.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.