Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to credit, I have a few questions.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New to credit, I have a few questions.

Sorry if these have been asked before, but I haven't seen any recent threads asking any of these. I'm also sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong area, but I am not rebuilding credit, I am just building credit and have questions.

Is there an ideal amount of credit cards to have? I only have one secured card with a small credit limit ($200, I'm a college student with a part time job. I can't just tie up $1000 in a single card.) and I am not sure if I should go ahead and get one or two more secured cards with the minimum deposits.

I only have a school loan and that credit card, is that enough to optimally improve my credit score? Though my loan is relatively new, I am on top of the payments every month. Not to mention my card hasn't even arrived from Discover.

I am also confused on utilization. Is ten percent good? Or is it 20 or 30? I have no clue, I keep getting so many different answers when I try and search for them. I'm not about to max out the card, I am just wondering what I need to limit myself to: $20, $40, or $60. The exact percentage is actually a big deal on a card with such a small limit.

As to anything bad on my credit score: I have quite a few inquiries, a few are going to drop off next year. I know that it's bad to have 6/8 (depending on where I look my score up), but I applied for a few before I even cared about credit. Heck, I didn't even have credit. I stupidly thought that they would actually give a student a student credit card. No questions about this, just adding this for information.

That's it. That's all. I haven't declared bankruptcy, I always pay my bills on time, I just don't have multiple revolving accounts. I want to improve my score as much as I possibly can without having to deal with a bunch of secured cards. My score has reported as low s 537 and as high as 650. It's low, so I know I cannot get an unsecured card or even a store card.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Re: New to credit, I have a few questions.

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry if these have been asked before, but I haven't seen any recent threads asking any of these. I'm also sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong area, but I am not rebuilding credit, I am just building credit and have questions.

Is there an ideal amount of credit cards to have? I only have one secured card with a small credit limit ($200, I'm a college student with a part time job. I can't just tie up $1000 in a single card.) and I am not sure if I should go ahead and get one or two more secured cards with the minimum deposits.

I only have a school loan and that credit card, is that enough to optimally improve my credit score? Though my loan is relatively new, I am on top of the payments every month. Not to mention my card hasn't even arrived from Discover.

I am also confused on utilization. Is ten percent good? Or is it 20 or 30? I have no clue, I keep getting so many different answers when I try and search for them. I'm not about to max out the card, I am just wondering what I need to limit myself to: $20, $40, or $60. The exact percentage is actually a big deal on a card with such a small limit.

As to anything bad on my credit score: I have quite a few inquiries, a few are going to drop off next year. I know that it's bad to have 6/8 (depending on where I look my score up), but I applied for a few before I even cared about credit. Heck, I didn't even have credit. I stupidly thought that they would actually give a student a student credit card. No questions about this, just adding this for information.

That's it. That's all. I haven't declared bankruptcy, I always pay my bills on time, I just don't have multiple revolving accounts. I want to improve my score as much as I possibly can without having to deal with a bunch of secured cards. My score has reported as low s 537 and as high as 650. It's low, so I know I cannot get an unsecured card or even a store card.

People say 3 revolving lines is optimal, no one can say for sure.

Inquiries won't hurt too much after 6 months.

Let your student loan and secured card age for the next 6 months. UTL before you apply for new credit should be less than 10%.  No need to micro manage the UTL when not apping. Just let 1-9% report for 60 days prior to make sure it's there when you app if you can't view your reports daily/weekly.

Have you looked at your reports? Score seems to be a FAKO. In 6 months you can check your scores here, I recommend the 3 score watch its so much cheaper than the 1 time check.. You will likely have a 700 score, at that time you will be able to get a Capital 1 card and Barclaycard then 6 months later you can apply anywhere!

Good luck

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much! I was just absolutely confused on utilization.

Actually, I was denied for a Target card and was told I had an Equifax score of 537. So, at least that number is accurate, either way those are terrible credit scores and not where I want to be at all. Can't remember where I'm getting the 600 number from, probably another rejection letter.

Message 3 of 18
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Yes, you want a minimum of 3 credit cards to be able to start building a high score and solid history. You eventually want to end up with 5 to 8 credit cards that you can keep open for life. The earlier in life you get these quality credit cards the better.

The easiest good store card to get when just starting out is a Walmart card. They approve people all the time with scores above 620. They will probably start you out with a small CL but they are very generous with CLI. You can request a CLI every 4 months from them. After you sign up for electronic billing they will give you a free FICO TU 08 score once a month so you can easily track your credit building progress.

The Walmart card is MUCH easier to get than a Target card and the Target card isn't very good anyway. They are VERY stingy with their CLI.

The Walmart card should be your only store credit card. You want nationally recognized bank credit cards for all the rest of your cards. I would suggest apping for a Capital One Journey Rewards for Students card after the Walmart card. They are also great starter cards and will also provide a free FICO TU 08 score each month. Look here: Capital One Journey Rewards for Students

You want to keep your reporting balances to less than 10% of your combined credit lines to get the highest scores.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you jamie123. As to the Target card I always shop there and five percent off was a main factor in wanting the card. My mom even noted when she got hers how low the CL was, weird because she has a high score. One more question, though, about how long should I wait to apply for a Walmart card?

Message 5 of 18
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

I stick to the 6 months time frame.

I would also suggest viewing your free annual credit reports. Something is dragging your scores down, you should likely have no scores or higher scores in my opinion. There may be a derogatory mark on there that isn't yours.
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Message 6 of 18
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Just a thought but the scores you received may be internal scores, not fico as you may not have one yet. You need 6 months of history to generate a FICO score.

In 6 months you should check your scores you may be able to get an Amex at that time even..
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought 6 months would do.

TheGardner: I did, not like I really understood them. All they did was show my student loan that was dispersed in August. I do have the credit reports printed out, though. I've had quite a few inquiries when I was trying to get a student loan this past year, I'm sure that didn't help. But yeah. Target showed me at 537, before the loan anytime I'd apply for something they would send me the usual rejection letter that said I had no credit history to report. Could it be how new the accounts are? Since the only positive thing to report for the last 4 months has been on time payments on my student loan. I opted to pay a small amount each month while in college because I am not about to just let it sit and collect even more interest.

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay. Well, that pretty much solved the mystery of the Target 537 Equifax score. Bascially all I need to do right now is sit and wait until June and check my score then.

Message 9 of 18
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

I think it is an issue with time. I think in 2 months your scores will be much different than what you received to date. With 6 months on the revolving credit (discover) you will have great scores.

Of course scores aren't everything and limited history will limit you a bit (chase and Citi like seeing a year or so of history as does Barclaycard somewhat) but you will be in a much better position.

With no history your inquiries may have a larger impact as there isn't much to help balance out the scores. In 6 months they will hurt a lot less and the payments will help a lot more so I think you will be fine for Barclaycard., walmart and cap 1. Or a credit union card, Walmart and cap 1 in that order.

Good luck!
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.