Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie needs some advice! : )

tag
honeybrook1
Regular Contributor

Newbie needs some advice! : )

Hello Everyone!

I've been lurking for about 2 months now...I've learned so much here and I've made some great strides since I've started cleaning things up:

FICO 6/17/1967                             
TU:  555
EQ:  646
EX:  583

FICO 8/8/08
TU:  636
EQ:  656
EX:  616

I'm totally addicted!Smiley Happy Once that score goes up, it's euphoric!!  Cleared up a number of errors on my reports, even disputed and got a TL deleted with EQ (not sure why my score didn't jump up more)...not having any luck with GW's, but I plan to keep on trying.  I've just sent a DV to LVNV-hope it works in getting them off all of my reports. 

A few months ago, I received notice through work that they received a Writ of Garnishment for me.  I dismissed it, because it was for an CC account that I paid off in March of 2005 through Midland Credit.  Well, they succeeded in garnishing a portion of my check!Smiley SadSmiley Mad  Can someone please tell me what I should and can do from here?  Thank you!

Starting Score: 718
Current Score: 718
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Newbie needs some advice! : )

Contact the original creditor and make sure you have the docs to back up your payment.  NEVER ignore legal paper.  Request that he OC verify with the CA that this account has been paid and request that your funds be refunded.  Since you ignored the notice of garnishement, a legal proceeding, there's not a lot that can be done to argue it at ths point unless you want to hire an attorney yourself.
Message 2 of 6
sl
Established Contributor

Do you have the proof that you paid the CC off?

If so, you need to send it to Midland.
Message 3 of 6
honeybrook1
Regular Contributor

Yes, I do have the proof that I paid.  The papers regarding the writ say that they are representing the OC...should I send proof to the OC, Midland and the law firm?  Is there a form letter that someone can refer me too? 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think you need a form letter - just state "Please see the attached________ and note that it is proof that this debt is paid in full. You must cease and desist all further collection activity in regard to this account."
Message 5 of 6
honeybrook1
Regular Contributor

Ok...thanks to those who responded!Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.