Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie with questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newbie with questions

Hi, I'm new to this board. I signed up for a trial of Privacy Assist through my BoA online banking website. I haven't checked on my credit in years and I figured i might as well do it now as I'd like to buy a house in the next few years. I got my three reports with the following FAKO's: 3/7/08 Eq-567,Ex-573,Tu-573. My most proliferate issue is about 12 collection accounts from a Medical group. These are amounts that were not covered from my insurance over the course of a few years. Each single bill is reported individually therefore the amount of entries. I worked with a CCCS last year to get my CC bills paid and some other bills and have lowered my debt substantially. I was unaware at the time about all the medical collections so I am just now going to tackle those. This site has been very helpful and over the last week I have become a research maniac on dealing with credit issues.I was kind of surprised at the many small errors in the CRA reports regarding personal info such as incorrect Birth Date on Ex (1960 as opposed to 1962), current address reversed with former address, old employers instead of current, etc. My questions are:

1. Are personal info errors disputed or do I have to contact the CRA's by phone? It appears that's the case for Eq.

2. Is the format of the reports different if obtained from different third party providers? If so, which is the best? I was thinking of buying a 3-in-1 one from MyFico to get actual Fico scores so I can start from solid ground when I begin working to improve my credit scores. Then I'll add a CMS to monitor changes and get increased access to new reports. I cancelled my trial from Privacy Assist as they only update quarterly and after doing the research, I know I can do much better for the money I was paying them.

Thanks for now, this board is a great resource!

JR
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Newbie with questions

dicej32 wrote:

1. Are personal info errors disputed or do I have to contact the CRA's by phone? It appears that's the case for Eq.

Mail or Fax a letter listing anything that needs to be removed/correct, along with a photocopy of your DL and SS card. However, if any creditor is reporting that information, then they won't remove. As for calling, I called TU and fixed over the phone.

2. Is the format of the reports different if obtained from different third party providers? If so, which is the best? I was thinking of buying a 3-in-1 one from MyFico to get actual Fico scores so I can start from solid ground when I begin working to improve my credit scores. Then I'll add a CMS to monitor changes and get increased access to new reports. I cancelled my trial from Privacy Assist as they only update quarterly and after doing the research, I know I can do much better for the money I was paying them.

I use TrueCredit, out of all the ones I've tried, I like it the best. It list the 3 reports side by side and are really easy to read. You CAN update daily, but some have been cancelled for doing so. The scores are FAKO, but other than that it provides your CR.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Newbie with questions

dicej32 welcome to the forum. I like sidewinder use TC and when needed I pull my scores from myfico. I also have ScorWatch.

Medical bills......I would contact the OC  and pay them    leave the CAs alone.   IF the OC sold the accounts then you must deal with the CAs.

What is the date of service ? Is this a hospital bill or other medical bill?  what is your SOL?

simple SOL

On my first dispute   I corrected incorrect name and addresses    I never update any employment info!
My first dispute was done online

Message Edited by HappyDays on 04-07-2008 11:44 AM
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.