Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newcomer - need advice...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newcomer - need advice...

First timer to the Forum.   I wish I had discovered this years ago, but I have now!  I was recently terminated from my job and I'm in recovery mode (emotionally, financially, mentally, etc).  I had some monies from deferred comp and I want to pay off Cap 1, WAMU and a couple of debts which total about $5000 altogether.   I have not seen my credit report  lately but I have an idea of what is on there.  At  this point I guess it's better to wait until January to request it?  It Is  best to pay these off or should I leave a small balance and keep them open?  Do I have any  negotiation power with these guys if I call and let them know I want to pay the balance?  Is there a benefit to paying debts off during a certain time of the month  as far as the reporting agencies are concerned?   Right now I have little to no knowledgeable of  the credit arena so I need some advice.  I have started reading the threads and other links and I will stay with this.  Wish I had discovered the Forum before now. 

After paying these how long does it take before it affects my score?   Right now I think I am in the low 600s.  I would like to a re-finance my mortgage if score is raised high enough.  I have to get informed on that issue as far as fees, etc.   I noticed  ScoreWatch is a recommendation for keeping up with my scores.  I think I will sign up for this.  Until I get back on my feet job wise, I am nervous, of course, about spending this money, but getting these debts paid off is absolutely the best thing to do. 

I'm also nervous because this is xmas but I realized the priority has to be my credit. 

Need a little advice...

Imani15-

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Newcomer - need advice...

I have a WAMU card and they faithfully charge that insurance to my card monthly. Did you sign up for the insurance that covers your payments while being out of a job? If so, you could start talking with them about that. At least make the min payments until they get your claim going, that is if you signed up for the insurance. 

If you lost your job I would not be trying to spend large chunks of money, just my opinion. For right now just keep the cards current.

Before you start trying to neg with the creditors you might want to know what is in your credit file, especially dealing with those cards.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Newcomer - need advice...

IMO you are doing yourself a great disservice by not ordering all 3 credit reports right now. You are flying blind, and you'll be amazed at what they contain...the good, bad, and ugly.

You can get your free credit reports from all 3 CRA's from:

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

You can run each one free if you haven't yet- but they don't give you your scores.
You can view them online.
Pulling your report won't affect your score.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.