Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Q: Using "special signature"

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Next Q: Using "special signature"

I've had a DV returned w/ the CA saying they won't process my request w/o my signature on the page. My husband suggests using a signature different from my everyday signature so if they try anything funny, I'll know the sig is lifted. Is this legal for me to do?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Re: Next Q: Using "special signature"

That falls in a gray area, are they asking you to have it notarized? I would recommend not signing ANYTHING.
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally, I would send a followup DV (wait the 30 days)... at the same time file complaints with state AGs and the FTC.  You gave them the account number the addresses match what's on your CR, and the amount matches... they are looking for a reason not to validate probably because they can't... JMHO.

Never put a sig on anything to a CA!!!!!
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

LadyScarlet, The addresses might not match, though... I lived in NC at the time it occurred, now live in CA, and just moved within CA 2 months ago. So addy on my CR may not have updated yet and definitely doesn't match the addy the credit agency has on file. Would that give them cause? I kind of think not, because my name at the time was Ivy MAIDEN and now it's Ivy MARRIED so my sig wouldn't match what they have on file, anyway!
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would NOT sign anything!!!! 
Message 5 of 9
TryingVeryHard
Frequent Contributor

Here is what I believe you can do. Go ahead and just write your name in scribble and add two letter additional like "Dv." You can then photocopy that piece of same paper you signed and made a notation that the Dv you added is for security purpose (the original copy does not need to bear the notation, the only copy that needs to be notated is for your own, date it!)

The signature does not represent your identity alone but your "intention." And for the purpose of signing a DV request with an additional "Dv" letter does not only present your IDENTITY but also your INTENTION to clear this matter and your intent to protect yourself what those "funny things" they can do.

The legal definition of signature has changed.

George W. Bush Dv

Message Edited by TryingVeryHard on 03-24-2008 10:56 PM

Message Edited by TryingVeryHard on 03-24-2008 10:56 PM
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't sign a thing!
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

TryingVeryHard wrote:

The legal definition of signature has changed.

Can you explain a bit more about this?  Thanks!
Message 8 of 9
TryingVeryHard
Frequent Contributor

Before, people believe that what constitute "signature" is a hand written "scribble" of one's name.

However, nowadays, any marking with legitimate and lawful INTENT, may be considered a form of signature. Say for instance, in e-commerce, a "click", "initials" or a "pin number" or a "password" may constitute a signature. All of which, can be held valid and legal under law, if the intent is present.

In a credit card receipt, anyone can just scribble anything, and may still be considered "signature" because of the presence of "INTENT."

Section 3-401(2) of the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) provides that "[n]o person is liable on an instrument unless his signature appears thereon." The UCC defines the term signature as any name, trade name, assumed name, word, or other identifying mark used in lieu of a signature (§ 3-401(2)). The term signed is defined by the UCC as any symbol executed or adopted by a party with the "present intention of authenticating a writing" (§ 1-201(39)). Thus, commercial instruments, such as checks and promissory notes, may be signed by affixing any symbol that an individual intends to represent his signature.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.