Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next steps...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Next steps...

Hi. I’ve been working the last month or so on improving my credit and I have a question.

I’ve been working towards financing a car. I still live with my parents and we all kind of share the one car at the moment.

My credit scores as of 2/08: EQ - 610; EX - 638; TU - 610.

I’ve finally paid down my Target REDcard to under 5%. (Yay!) I’m waiting to pull my credit report again until Target reports in April. In the meantime, I was thinking of other ways to improve my credit before I get my wheels.

One idea was to get another credit card. My REDcard is the only card I currently have, and I’m almost certain it will turn into a full Visa within the next month. But that’s it. I did have another card before that I screwed up really bad, but paid off in 12/06.

Another idea was to get a small (~$1.5-2k) personal loan through my local bank. I’ve been needing a new computer for some time now, and this would seem to be the perfect way to do it. I’ve had a checking account with them for three years now.

Would either of these ideas help or hinder me? Any other suggestions on improving my credit? If you need any more info, let me know.

Thanks for the help!

Message Edited by Typogrammer on 03-24-2008 05:20 AM
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Next steps...

How do you know that the RedCard will convert soon? I'd love pointers to get mine to convert. My $200 is wearing on me. It is my understanding that they will send you a letter a month prior to the conversion.

Do you have any baddies? Is that card from 12/06 still reporting?

Assume for a sec that the Target does not convert. Adding a Visa or MC will improve your mix of credit causing a score bump. You'd likely have a greater impact if you took $500, for example, and request a secured CC. Or specifically target a card that pulls EX. BofA comes to mind. Try also BofA's pre-approval cc app.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

llecs: On the REDcard - About two weeks ago I was able to get every single statement from my checking account and REDcard and organize them into binders. I started looking at the statements month-to-month. After the CLI two months in, I noticed that about 5 months ago the APR started dropping from 24.24% to (as of the last statement) 21.99%, which, coincidentally, is the highest APR for the Target Visa. Also, my Target Card is almost one year old. (I think that happens sometime this week.) IIRC from reading the forums, 6-12 months is when Target likes to covert, so I'm pretty sure it'll happen soon. And paying it down to 5% can't hurt. But I could be wrong on everything. Smiley Happy

Unfortunately, my credit is not without blemish. I have a 30/60/90 days late on my old CC on April/May/June 2006. That's almost two years ago now, and since I did PIF, I don't expect that to haunt me too badly. Again, I could be wrong on this, too. I'm still new to this game. The account was closed in 5/06 and the bank last reported in 1/07.

If you'd like to see how three years of checking account statements look, I'd be happy to snap a photo. I can't believe I still have every single one! Smiley Very Happy
Message 3 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Typogrammer wrote:
llecs: On the REDcard - About two weeks ago I was able to get every single statement from my checking account and REDcard and organize them into binders. I started looking at the statements month-to-month. After the CLI two months in, I noticed that about 5 months ago the APR started dropping from 24.24% to (as of the last statement) 21.99%, which, coincidentally, is the highest APR for the Target Visa. Also, my Target Card is almost one year old. (I think that happens sometime this week.) IIRC from reading the forums, 6-12 months is when Target likes to covert, so I'm pretty sure it'll happen soon. And paying it down to 5% can't hurt. But I could be wrong on everything. Smiley Happy

Unfortunately, my credit is not without blemish. I have a 30/60/90 days late on my old CC on April/May/June 2006. That's almost two years ago now, and since I did PIF, I don't expect that to haunt me too badly. Again, I could be wrong on this, too. I'm still new to this game. The account was closed in 5/06 and the bank last reported in 1/07.

If you'd like to see how three years of checking account statements look, I'd be happy to snap a photo. I can't believe I still have every single one! Smiley Very Happy

Huh! I never noticed the APR change before. I think they are responding to interest rate cuts only and has nothing to do with card graduation.

Here's why:

DW's rates                  My rates

9/3   24.24%               --------------
  10/3  24.24%               --------------
  11/3  23.74%               --------------
  12/3  23.74%             12/5    23.74%
   1/3   23.49%               1/5    23.49%
   2/3   23.24%               2/5    23.24%
   3/3   21.99%               3/5    21.99%

DW got the card in August and I in November. I've read posts from at least 2 people who had scores in the 800's and couldn't even get past $200, yet alone a Visa graduation. This is one of the great mysteries of Target: when do they give CLIs and when do they graduate? DW got a CLI before her first statement by maxing the card out at the check-out and reducing the number of items bought to keep under the $200. Her CL went from $200 to $500 her first week. I use 10% and PIF at least a week early and still stuck at $200. Go figure.

Killing those lates will improve your score big time. Send GW's over and over and over again. One of my mottos is: If they haven't sent a restraining order yet, you haven't sent enough GWs.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

This APR change is based on the prime rate being reduced.

llecs wrote:

Typogrammer wrote:

Huh! I never noticed the APR change before. I think they are responding to interest rate cuts only and has nothing to do with card graduation.

Here's why:

DW's rates                  My rates

9/3   24.24%               --------------
  10/3  24.24%               --------------
  11/3  23.74%               --------------
  12/3  23.74%             12/5    23.74%
   1/3   23.49%               1/5    23.49%
   2/3   23.24%               2/5    23.24%
   3/3   21.99%               3/5    21.99%

DW got the card in August and I in November. I've read posts from at least 2 people who had scores in the 800's and couldn't even get past $200, yet alone a Visa graduation. This is one of the great mysteries of Target: when do they give CLIs and when do they graduate? DW got a CLI before her first statement by maxing the card out at the check-out and reducing the number of items bought to keep under the $200. Her CL went from $200 to $500 her first week. I use 10% and PIF at least a week early and still stuck at $200. Go figure.

Killing those lates will improve your score big time. Send GW's over and over and over again. One of my mottos is: If they haven't sent a restraining order yet, you haven't sent enough GWs.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aw, and I thought I was special. Smiley Very Happy

The GW letter seems like a good idea. Any other tips?
Message 6 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

We're all special.  Smiley Wink

Send GWs over and over and over and over again. I'd start with the address listed on each CR then graduate to other addresses found on their website, Google, these forums and elsewhere. I'd also progress to faxing and emailing. Then I'd focus on targeted individuals like execs-types. I usually send 1 GW as my first volly to "Dear Sir/Madam" then follow-up with 2-3-4 letters at a time from there on out every 30 days or so. You'll get 'em.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alright. I sent my first GW letter yesterday. I'm known for writing novels instead of letters so I had to restrain myself in writing it. Smiley Wink

I've already decided that I'll use my $300 tax rebate check for a secured credit card, probably with BoA as was suggested. But, in the meantime, would it be alright to get a small personal loan through my bank or even a local credit union to bump my credit? I could easily pay $2k in six months. Or should I just stick to credit cards until I get my car loan?

I thought I had this figured out, and now it seems like I'm back at the start line. Yikes.
Message 8 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Typogrammer wrote:
But, in the meantime, would it be alright to get a small personal loan through my bank or even a local credit union to bump my credit? I could easily pay $2k in six months. Or should I just stick to credit cards until I get my car loan?

I don't know the answer. A mix of credit, if you don't have any installment loans, can help your score. In my case, my avg. history is low and new credit would hurt more than the mix.

My bank has certainly tempted me though.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.