Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No credit score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

No credit score

ok so this may be a bit drawn out, but here goes. I had a Macys credit card about maybe 7-8 years ago. I eneded up messing things up with it and it became a charge off

and I never paid it. Besides that i havent had another credit card, I just have few medical bils on my credit report. But this is the situation, I applied for a car

loan in my name this past january but was turned down because they said I HAD NO CREDIT SCORE!!  I didnt understand becuase like I said i have had a credit card a

few years back. The place that i tried for the loan was my credit union that I've been with for over 5 years ( I only have a savings account). They told me to apply for a small

loan ($1000) to be able to get my credit score. I was denied for that once again becuase I dont have a credit score. So my question is what should I do? I know a lot of

people say apply at my local bank/credit union, I did that and nothing. This is extremely irritating!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!!!!

P.S. I have no co-signer to sign with me so everything would have to be  on my own.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: No credit score

You have no score because you have no credit accounts on your report. Your Macy's card has likely fallen off your report after 7 years so it's just not there anymore. 

Forget applying for a small loan. Go for a credit card. Try your credit union and see if they'll give you one with a small limit, then make use of it -- pay it every month. If they won't give you a regular card see if they will give you a "secured" card, where you give them money as collateral for the card, then use it. Ideally get a SECOND card, because that'll help your score -- use one, leave the other at zero. 

It will take SIX MONTHS for you to get a credit score. Six months of your card reporting payments. At that point you will have a score with a relatively short history -- you might be able to get your auto loan then, especially if you have a relationship with your CU. But you might also want to stick it out a little longer until you have a lengthier history. 

In any case, see if you can get TWO credit cards going, even if they are secured cards.

Message 2 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

+1 to the above.  If you can't get unsecured then you may need to go secured.

Message 3 of 5
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

Also, Capital One may offer you a secured card that graduates to unsecured.

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

ok so this may be a bit drawn out, but here goes. I had a Macys credit card about maybe 7-8 years ago. I eneded up messing things up with it and it became a charge off

and I never paid it. Besides that i havent had another credit card, I just have few medical bils on my credit report. But this is the situation, I applied for a car

loan in my name this past january but was turned down because they said I HAD NO CREDIT SCORE!!  I didnt understand becuase like I said i have had a credit card a

few years back. The place that i tried for the loan was my credit union that I've been with for over 5 years ( I only have a savings account). They told me to apply for a small

loan ($1000) to be able to get my credit score. I was denied for that once again becuase I dont have a credit score. So my question is what should I do? I know a lot of

people say apply at my local bank/credit union, I did that and nothing. This is extremely irritating!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!!!!

P.S. I have no co-signer to sign with me so everything would have to be  on my own.

I hear you...there are only a few CUs in my area and they are all horrible. Inconvenient, terrible rates, crazy fees for accounts, etc. There MUST be good CUs out there but none local to me. I can see why the big banks (Chase, BoA, and Wells Fargo are all over the place here instead). 

If you're not having luck with your local CU, try looking at Cap1 (they have a secured card, probably will not graduate but it'll be easy to get some other intro Cap1 cards quickly) or Bank of America's (it can graduate and you can add rewards). If you aren't too CU burned out, try SDFCU; they have a secured card and they won't even hard pull your credit. It won't graduate but no HP is a win. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.