Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more complimentary score from Barclays after TU freeze

tag
EvilR-T
Frequent Contributor

No more complimentary score from Barclays after TU freeze

so it's been a couple months and I logged onto my account to see if my FICO score updated. The website gave me a message along the lines of not able to retrieve it at this time. Apparently even if you have an existing relationship with Barclays they cannot update the score after a TU freeze. The customer service rep informed me that I need to lift the freeze for them to access it. Just a heads up for anyone else that runs into the same problem as I did. I searched for it here and online and found nothing so I'm apologizing in advance if this is old news.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
milkshakes
Regular Contributor

Re: No more complimentary score from Barclays after TU freeze

haven't seen this in the Credit in the News section yet so thanks for the datapoint. definitely makes sense that if it's frozen you won't be able to get updates on it

also, i wouldn't say you're missing out on much. Barclays is generally pretty bad about updating that FICO score. it's been nearly 2 months for me! :\ Not that it really matters since you probably don't need to be checking your score that often.

12k                    10k                     5k                 12.5k (AU)                 6k                   NPSL                   12k
Message 2 of 10
EvilR-T
Frequent Contributor

yeah, they say it takes 2-3 months for an update unless there is a major change. i know i'm not missing much. i still have the Discover monthly statement score and i subscribe to SW and Quarterly. i was just posting a bulliten. its odd that Discover and Quarterly can but Barclays can't.

Message 3 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Hrm, as I understood it you could still do SP's of an existing customer's account through a freeze.

I'm not certain if I believe the CSR or not on this one, we haven't had reports of that from Walmart or Discover and AFAIK it's near identical product / implementation between the 3, though Barclays may be pulling at a different frequency and not purchasing a FICO score every time.

That would make sense from a business practice actually: as a report costs less than a report + score, if there's no major changes on a report, why pull the score if you have any sort of internal score analysis which most lenders do?

        
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

According to what I read, existing financial institutions had access through a credit freeze.
Message 5 of 10
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

For what its worth, my CB accounts are frozen and all of the services continue to update - Discover, Walmart, Barclays and Credit Karma/Capital One - including this month.

Message 6 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@EvilR-T wrote:

so it's been a couple months and I logged onto my account to see if my FICO score updated. The website gave me a message along the lines of not able to retrieve it at this time. Apparently even if you have an existing relationship with Barclays they cannot update the score after a TU freeze. The customer service rep informed me that I need to lift the freeze for them to access it. Just a heads up for anyone else that runs into the same problem as I did. I searched for it here and online and found nothing so I'm apologizing in advance if this is old news.

This is crazy, I have TU frozen and both Walmart & Discover have no problem updating my score and I have no problem pulling my own report with MPM through the freeze as I had already set up access. I would think that something else is causing the problem and its not what they are telling you.

Message 7 of 10
EvilR-T
Frequent Contributor

I know, like I said, Discover and Quarterly can update without issue but Barclays can't. if I were paying for the service then I would fight them on it but it's free so I will not pursue it. all they've been giving me are generic responses. 

Message 8 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@EvilR-T wrote:

I know, like I said, Discover and Quarterly can update without issue but Barclays can't. if I were paying for the service then I would fight them on it but it's free so I will not pursue it. all they've been giving me are generic responses. 

CSR's are not always right, and I suspect this is one such situation TBH.

        
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays updated my score today 07-19-14 and my TU is locked. The card they reported to is the Sallie Mae WMC.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.