Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non Authorized Inq Letter

tag
John060675
Valued Contributor

Re: Non Authorized Inq Letter

Probably did a soft pull, which they can legally do.  From my understanding, they can see the same info on a soft and hard inquiry.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 51 of 107
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had mine show up as a pull on my credit report and I was told, NO they can NOT, because I was not applying for new credit with a CA. I am guessing they can NOT over the phone as well, as you are not applying for credit with them, wouldn't it be the same wrong?

Message Edited by jenknee on 10-24-2007 06:59 PM

Message Edited by jenknee on 10-24-2007 06:59 PM
Message 52 of 107
Anonymous
Not applicable

CA -
No PP to pull hard or soft.
Message 53 of 107
Anonymous
Not applicable

For those interested.

§ 604. Permissible purposes of consumer reports

[15 U.S.C. § 1681b]

(a) In general. Subject to subsection (c), any consumer reporting agency may furnish a

consumer report under the following circumstances and no other:

(1) In response to the order of a court having jurisdiction to issue such an order, or a

subpoena issued in connection with proceedings before a Federal grand jury.

(2) In accordance with the written instructions of the consumer to whom it relates.

(3) To a person which it has reason to believe

(A) intends to use the information in connection with a credit transaction

involving the consumer on whom the information is to be furnished and

involving the extension of credit to, or review or collection of an account

of, the consumer; or

(B) intends to use the information for employment purposes; or

(C) intends to use the information in connection with the underwriting of

insurance involving the consumer; or

(D) intends to use the information in connection with a determination of the

consumer's eligibility for a license or other benefit granted by a

governmental instrumentality required by law to consider an applicant's

financial responsibility or status; or

Message 54 of 107
Anonymous
Not applicable

hstone wrote:
For those interested.

§ 604. Permissible purposes of consumer reports

[15 U.S.C. § 1681b]

(a) In general. Subject to subsection (c), any consumer reporting agency may furnish a

consumer report under the following circumstances and no other:

(3) To a person which it has reason to believe

(A) intends to use the information in connection with a credit transaction

involving the consumer on whom the information is to be furnished and

involving the extension of credit to, or review or collection of an account

of, the consumer

A recent case in Washington state (I think) determined that there is no "credit transaction" when a CA is reviewing or collecting on an account, and therefore the CA does not have PP.
Message 55 of 107
PayYouNever
Frequent Contributor

Noah, here's a question. A company called Sequoia Financial has a collections account on me, which they opened in April of this year. Then in August of this year that made what I believe in an Non-Authorized INQ, for what I have no idea?

My plan was to send Tuscani's Pay Me Lowlife letter this weekend CMRRR, but you've been talking about suing the CA. Under what grounds would I sue in small claims court? Obviously I'm looking for $1000 in damages, but does the CA have a PP considering I wasn't looking for credit from them, nor did I authorize them to look at my CBR. I was in contact with them regarding a late payment, but nothing else. Does that constitute PP?

Masdeocho, do you know the Washington state case? Because I want to sue this company in small claims court for the $1000, as they had NO RIGHT to do a Hard Inq. I wasn't looking for credit, employment or anything else. I think the CA wanted to see what my CBR looked like in regard to trying to determine where they would stand if they sued me to collect the debt; I do have an unpaid federal tax lien, meaning they're second in-line in any court case and there's also an unpaid judgment after that, so.... they're coming in a distant third. But that doesn't excuse the fact that they Hard Inq'd me.

Message Edited by PayYouNever on 11-16-2007 12:17 PM
Message 56 of 107
Anonymous
Not applicable

PayYouNever wrote:
Noah, here's a question. A company called Sequoia Financial has a collections account on me, which they opened in April of this year. Then in August of this year that made what I believe in an Non-Authorized INQ, for what I have no idea?

My plan was to send Tuscani's Pay Me Lowlife letter this weekend CMRRR, but you've been talking about suing the CA. Under what grounds would I sue in small claims court? Obviously I'm looking for $1000 in damages, but does the CA have a PP considering I wasn't looking for credit from them, nor did I authorize them to look at my CBR. I was in contact with them regarding a late payment, but nothing else. Does that constitute PP?

Masdeocho, do you know the Washington state case? Because I want to sue this company in small claims court for the $1000, as they had NO RIGHT to do a Hard Inq. I wasn't looking for credit, employment or anything else. I think the CA wanted to see what my CBR looked like in regard to trying to determine where they would stand if they sued me to collect the debt; I do have an unpaid federal tax lien, meaning they're second in-line in any court case and there's also an unpaid judgment after that, so.... they're coming in a distant third. But that doesn't excuse the fact that they Hard Inq'd me.

Message Edited by PayYouNever on 11-16-2007 12:17 PM

Here's the thread that discusses this case:

You'll need a lawyer's advice as to whether this will work in your situation.  There also is the question of whether you sue in Small Claims or Fedeal court -- somewhere there is a looooooooong boring thread about that. Good luck and let us know what happens!
Message 57 of 107
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have found inquiries on my report not initiated by me but did not know how to get them off.  Thank you.

Recently, I got a credit rejection letter from WFNNB for a Value City Furniture credit card.  The reason listed were "Unable to verify personal information" and "Unable to verify fraud alert data."  It is odd that they have my address, could they have gotten my address from Experian?

I had recently recieved, reviewed and corrected my credit report from all three agencies.  There were three potentially negative items.  I disputed the (incorrect) items and have recieved confirmation from two of the three CRAs that the items have been removed.

Question:  Did the dispute automatically put a fraud altert on my report?

After recieving the letter, I immediately logged onto Experian and did set a 90day fraud alert.  As I entered the fraud alert I was shown my current credit report (no negative items - yeah!)  But, I noticed an additional hard inquiry at a different address also from WFNNB.

I assume that I am the victum of identity theft.  I did not apply for these credit accounts.  My letter to WFNNB did not threaten them but simply asked for the documentation. 

Should I also send a non authorized inquiry letter of the form included here?  I have mixed feelings...if someone is trying to defraud WFNNB by getting credit in my name should they really have to pay me $1000?  On the other hand, if everyone pressed this issue companies making inquiries might start being much more careful about verifying identity before checking credit or opening accounts.

What do you think?

Message 58 of 107
Anonymous
Not applicable

Companies that have cc offers can take a peek, and see if you are "pre approved" before mailing you an offer. These inquiries do not go against your score. You can write a letter to the CRA to have that blocked from happening.
Message 59 of 107
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
I have found inquiries on my report not initiated by me but did not know how to get them off.  Thank you.

Recently, I got a credit rejection letter from WFNNB for a Value City Furniture credit card.  The reason listed were "Unable to verify personal information" and "Unable to verify fraud alert data."  It is odd that they have my address, could they have gotten my address from Experian?

I had recently recieved, reviewed and corrected my credit report from all three agencies.  There were three potentially negative items.  I disputed the (incorrect) items and have recieved confirmation from two of the three CRAs that the items have been removed.

Question:  Did the dispute automatically put a fraud altert on my report?

After recieving the letter, I immediately logged onto Experian and did set a 90day fraud alert.  As I entered the fraud alert I was shown my current credit report (no negative items - yeah!)  But, I noticed an additional hard inquiry at a different address also from WFNNB.

I assume that I am the victum of identity theft.  I did not apply for these credit accounts.  My letter to WFNNB did not threaten them but simply asked for the documentation. 

Should I also send a non authorized inquiry letter of the form included here?  I have mixed feelings...if someone is trying to defraud WFNNB by getting credit in my name should they really have to pay me $1000?  On the other hand, if everyone pressed this issue companies making inquiries might start being much more careful about verifying identity before checking credit or opening accounts.

What do you think?
Hi, gfieler, which credit report are you looking at? Is it the short version from myFICO and other sources, or is it the full report from Experian?

If it's the full report, it shows two types of inquiries. "Requests viewed by others" are hard inqs. "Requests viewed only by you" are soft inqs. The soft inqs are allowed if they're for promotional purposes. Unfortunately, EX doesn't display the prefixes that say why the soft was done. Promotional softs have a PRM- prefix.

So anyway, if you saw these inqs in the "Requests viewed by others" section, they were supposed to have your OK first. If they were in the "Requests viewed only by you" section, they were probably for promos, deciding whether they wanted to mail you an offer, etc.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 60 of 107
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.