Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non Authorized Inq Letter

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Non Authorized Inq Letter

I have two hard inquiries from law firms that both ran my CB the day before court.  Both judgments were vacated, and all information on my CB from these creditors is gone, except these inquiries.  Two questions.  One, is this considered a "permissable purpose" for pulling my credit?  The law firms are neither the OC or the CA, and I did not apply for credit with them.  Secondly, if they had PP, can I have them removed since the courts determined that both lawsuits were vacated, deeming them erroneous in the first place?

thanks for any help on this.
Message 11 of 107
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

ekuzniar wrote:
I have two hard inquiries from law firms that both ran my CB the day before court.  Both judgments were vacated, and all information on my CB from these creditors is gone, except these inquiries.  Two questions.  One, is this considered a "permissable purpose" for pulling my credit?  The law firms are neither the OC or the CA, and I did not apply for credit with them.  Secondly, if they had PP, can I have them removed since the courts determined that both lawsuits were vacated, deeming them erroneous in the first place?

thanks for any help on this.

Yes they had permissable purpose. Call and ask them to remove.
Message 12 of 107
Anonymous
Not applicable

The letter I was looking for. Just what the doctor ordered. Thanks!
Message 13 of 107
miz
Contributor

This won't work in a case where you were shopped, though, right?  Because basically they do have permission?????
Message 14 of 107
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

miz wrote:
This won't work in a case where you were shopped, though, right?  Because basically they do have permission?????

Correct.
Message 15 of 107
Anonymous
Not applicable

has anyone ever called thier local bank loan officer and just asked to remove the inquirey?
Message 16 of 107
Anonymous
Not applicable

motoracer wrote:
has anyone ever called thier local bank loan officer and just asked to remove the inquirey?

Not exactly, but sorta.

Called EX about an address on my CR where I've never lived. They said it's associated with an INQ from BOA in October.

Visited BOA branch yesterday. They were focused on looking for accounts in my name that weren't mine and not as much on the inquiry itself. Could find NOTHING. No requests for CCs, LOCs, etc. No odd or strange accounts. Just checking and savings.

I called BOA today at the number showing on my EX CR. On the phone for 45 minutes, on hold for much of it, transferred several times, and nothing to show for it.

Started nice, remained calm, didn't yell or call 'em F***ers or anything. Finally asked about a BOA department that handles CRA disputes. Here's the gist of it from there.

Them: "You need to contact EX."
Me: "EX confirmed to me over the phone that BOA made the inquiry using this incorrect address."
Me: "No, I mean when someone disputes what BOA put on a credit report, who do I talk to at BOA?"
Me: "FCRA requires a creditor to investigate a dispute when the furnisher provides incorrect info."

Silence. On hold again for about 10 minutes. Legalism always changes the conversation.

Them: "Consulted with colleagues, you need to contact EX."
Me: "So you really want me to dispute with EX, in writing via CMRRR so it will stand up in court when we end up there, just so I can come back to BOA with a written dispute via CMRRR?"
Them: "Umm, ah, er, sir."
Me: "Because once there, if you refuse to investigate, that's willfull non-compliance with the FCRA, and I'll win easy. Those awards can go tens of thousands of dollars."
Them: "Sir, I didn't put you on hold to make you go away. I truly wanted to research this."
Me: "That's why I stayed on and why I'm documenting the time and length of the call. For court, if we get there. Are you willing to provide a reference # for this call? Or a name? First only? Or some pseudonym?"

Got a name and an offer of a supervisor's name and number. No need at this point. Hoped I could press them gently into deleting the inquiry, or recoding it and correcting the address.

No dice. Sent off a CMRRR dispute to EX. Step 1 before disputing with OCs under FCRA and then suing them is dispute with the CRA.

Message 17 of 107
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought you weren't able to dispute an INQ with the CRAs?   I have one on my file from Wolpoff for someone at a different address.  I sent them a letter and they haven't removed it as of yet.  It ticks me off since they pulled a soft inquiry on a different CR when they got the letter but haven't removed it yet.   I think it's ridiculous that an inquiry is shown with an address that you never lived yet, yet you have to jump through hoops to get rid of it.
Message 18 of 107
Anonymous
Not applicable

FACTA amendment let you dispute ANY piece of information with the CRAs, even an incorrect address. There's no means under law to remove inquiries, even ones for which you didn't give permission and they don't have PP. Only legal recourse is to sue whomever pulled your credit without PP. The CRAs will often investigate inquiries and if the requester of your CR doesn't validate then the CRA will either delete it or have the requester recode it as a soft pull. Cuts down on the lawsuits against those who pull your credit without PP. And you didn't think CRAs were in bed with the OCs and CAs? Tsk, tsk.

Message Edited by Noah_Bodie on 06-20-2007 10:17 PM
Message 19 of 107
Anonymous
Not applicable

Noah,

Do I have any recourse with TU then since I just called them and they said they couldn't investigate an inquiry?  The guy said all I could do was contact the requestor.   Smiley Mad
Message 20 of 107
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.