Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non Authorized Inq Letter

tag
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Non Authorized Inq Letter

Use the following letter to dispute non-authorized or non-permissiable purpose inquiries.

REMEMBER - This letter gets sent the company that placed the inquiry on your file, not the CRAs. Check the FCRA notation in the letter for more info on what is and isn't permissible purpose. As always, use any letter I share at your own risk.

--

Non-PP Puller Company
Address
City State Zip Code

To Whom It May Concern:

I have noticed that you have placed an inquiry on my _________ credit file dated ________. As you probably know, Credit Reporting Agencies treat inquiries as a statement of fact and will not allow a consumer to dispute them. Since it is against federal law (Fair Credit Reporting Act -- 15 USC § 1681n(a)(1)(B) for an entity to view a consumer’s credit report without a "permissible purpose," I am writing to inquire as to your alleged purpose for doing so since I did not apply for employment with your organization nor did I request credit from your organization.

[Describe any additional details about the inquiry here if need be. For example, your a subscriber to XXXX monitoring service and XXXX company pulled a "hard inquiry" on one of your reports.]

Based on the evidence in my possession, this inquiry was performed under false pretenses as described in the clear language of the law. 15 USC §1681n(a)(1)(B ) states, in part, "in the case of liability of a natural person for obtaining a consumer report under false pretenses or knowingly without a permissible purpose, actual damages sustained by the consumer as a result of the failure or $1,000, whichever is greater;"

You are civilly liable to me in the amount of $1,000.00 for your willful violation of the law -- performing a "hard inquiry" on my __________ file without my permission. I do hope that we can settle this matter amicably. You can remove the inquiry within one (1) business day of the receipt of this notice. Or, we can meet in court where you will end up removing the inquiry, paying me the civil liability fine, punitive damages for my score drop, plus court and attorney fees. The choice is up to you.
Please contact me immediately at the address listed below.

Sincerely,

Consumer
Address
City State Zip Code

Message Edited by Tuscani on 05-07-2007 01:13 PM

Message Edited by Tuscani on 05-07-2007 01:15 PM
Message 1 of 107
106 REPLIES 106
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Non Authorized Inq Letter

Great letter ... just note the citation should be 15 USC § 1681n(a)(1)(B)

(with a "§" instead of a "?" ... symbols sometimes get messed up in transpostion)

Message 2 of 107
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

masdeocho wrote:

Great letter ... just note the citation should be 15 USC § 1681n(a)(1)(B)

(with a "§" instead of a "?" ... symbols sometimes get messed up in transpostion)

Forum hosed the symbols. I fixed. Thanks for pointing it out!
Message 3 of 107
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great letter! My only critique would be settlement terms of $500 plus deletion of the inquiry. Delete or recoding of the inquiry alone is good, but you might get a check along with it. Might as well let jack-a-holes like this pay your debts for you.
Message 4 of 107
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Noah_Bodie wrote:
Great letter! My only critique would be settlement terms of $500 plus deletion of the inquiry. Delete or recoding of the inquiry alone is good, but you might get a check along with it. Might as well let jack-a-holes like this pay your debts for you.

Screw that.. if you can catch them violating collect your $1000!!
Message 5 of 107
Anonymous
Not applicable

$1000 in court, $500 if they do right before going to court. Court is always a gamble.
Message 6 of 107
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you really had success with this?  I just pulled my "free" report yesterday from two bureaus and noticed inquiries, have no clue but I want to know what the heck they are doing and who the heck they are.

Thanks!
Message 7 of 107
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't pursued any inquiries, but more than one CIC poster has gotten a settlement outta either CRAs, CAs, JDBs and OCs.
Message 8 of 107
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

beach123 wrote:
Have you really had success with this?  I just pulled my "free" report yesterday from two bureaus and noticed inquiries, have no clue but I want to know what the heck they are doing and who the heck they are.

Thanks!

YES!
Message 9 of 107
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks - I'll see what happens...I am so glad this board and all of you are here to help out!
Message 10 of 107
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.