Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Northland Group-Noah Bodie???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Northland Group-Noah Bodie???

I have a new ca that has started contacting me for capital one. It is past the sol in alabama. I ask them the other day not to call me anymore and to make all contact via mail. They called again today as they started asking me my address after I said yes I was the name they ask for, I replied back what is this call pertain to? He said I will get to that in a moment if you can tell me if this is your correct address. So I just hung the phone up on him.

Here is the kicker-Northland Group pulled a hard inquiry on me on Nov 10th. Is this not illegal? They are only a ca. Capital one still owns my account. I never gave permission for the ca to pull my cr. I realize that Capital one can do that, but not a ca.

If it is illegal, what are my recourses? I know I can have it removed from my inquires with experian since I didn't give permission for this credit check, but that's just a slap on the hand to the ca. The damage has been done...they got what they wanted.

Not only that. I have a fraud alert on my cr's. They aren't suppose to give my report without proof of permission. Although the Fraud aleart has expired, ex is still showing it when I pull my cr from TC.

Eq and TU is not reporting the alert.

Noah you seem to know alot about this legal stuff...what are my recourses if any? Everyone else's advice as well. Thanks
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Northland Group-Noah Bodie???

My two cents, if Cap One assigned or sold your account to Northland, then yes they can pull your credit report.  Cap One usually keeps good records from my understanding.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital one still owns the account, however they have assigned it to a new CA. Capital one does this frequently. If one CA is not able to collest, then after their contaract period has expired, then they contract it out to another CA.

The way I look at it. Nortland Group is just a CA, they should have all the information they received and needed to try to collect. Capital one still own's the account...and yes they (Capital One) can pull a hard inquiry, same as any other creditor that one has an account with.  I don't see where Northland Group CA have permissible purpose to pull a hard inquiry on me.

I have read many or the threads on here and went into FCRA. The mumble-jumble way the laws are written can be contraversal and misunderstood.

I'd just like to get their butts for harrassing me and doing this if possible.

I still fill that EX is just as responsible since I have a fraud alert on my CR files. No reports are to be released with out some kind of proof and permission is given by me.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

A CA  does not have PP to pull a hard copy.

I do not know Al. law...does a ca need to be registered,licensed or bonded in your state. If so see if they are.

If you are sure that you are past SOL   DV them CMRRR. Be sure that in it you tell them no phone calls everything in writting! If they call after that, they are in violation.

They should have received your address from Cap1 anyway.

Send the CRA (where the pull was) a letter CMRRR of fax....first ask what PP they had.OR tell them (CRA) that you did not ask for credit or ins. from Northland and did not give permission to have your CR pulled. Please delete it!

You can also send a CMRRR to the CA and tell them that they illegally pulled your CR and that they have 5 days to retract it. I would prefer to not need to turn this over to my attorney.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

DV the CA. If it's beyond SOL, that often will make them behave and stop calling. They might go away altogether. See the DV link in my sig. Just don't tell 'em to C&D.

FAs create merely an inconvenience. Not even freezes, in most states, can stop a hard INQ if there's PP--and perhaps even if there's no PP.

Appears that a CA doesn't need to be licensed as a CA in Alabama. They merely need to have a presence in the state, and a resident agent appears to be adequate. However, in nosing around the Alabama SOS website, I couldn't find Northland listed as having a presence. Might be worth calling the Alabama AG's office and asking about licensing requirements.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

they also pulled 2 hard inquires on me within 3 months time. I had two old cap 1 accounts, not only was it past SOL but it had past the 7 year mark so it was not even on my credit report anymore. So who cares, I can always just change my phone number.  I called experian they said that I would have to contant them to have it removed.  i just feel as though they should add that inquiries happen for other reasons and not just applying for credit.
Message 6 of 7
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Send the non-authorized inquiry letter to Northland as they are liable for 1k for each non-PP INQ.  DV and C&D the CA.

Dispute the INQ again with any CRAs by mail and state simply that you do not have an account with this company nor did you apply for credit, please remove.  Don't get into detail with them they really don't care and it can work against you.  Keep it simple.

No need to change your phone number.  If the CA violates, sue or at least offer to settle with them in lieu.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.