Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not my account - What next?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not my account - What next?

What do I do about an account that is in collections and is not mine?  My initial dispute to Equifax was returned stating the account is in fact mine, which it is not.  So I called the collection agency and spoke to a supervisor, who wasn’t very nice.  He finally checked for my name in their system and could not find it.  He stated that I was not in their system and did not owe them anything.  So I called Equifax back and explained what I had learned.  Equifax stated that I should file another dispute, which I did.  Again, a few weeks later, Equifax returned my dispute stating that the account was mine.  What should I do now?  When Equifax checks these disputes, don’t they contact the same people I did?  Why are they insisting this account is mine?  It is very frustrating because my FICO number is degraded as a result of an account that does not belong to me.

It seems to me that the big three (Equifax, Trans Union, and Experion) are not interested in correcting errors to your account.  I have had to correct my date of birth, middle initial, and mailing address, accounts that do not belong to me, sometimes more than once with each of them.  Why are they allowed to change this information without notifying me first?  Where do they get the wrong information?

Please help!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Not my account - What next?

You're going to have to do a Debt validation with the collector.  When they reply in writing you will then send a copy of this to your credit reports.- other option is to get the CA to send this for you.  I havent had any luck with equifax disputes.  I would try the CA directly with the DV.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been in a similiar situation but I haven't had too much luck.
Here's my story...I noticed a collection account on my report about 4 years ago.  After getting no answers from the phone calls to the collections agency, I disputed it just as you did.  I got the same result from Equifax, Experian, and Transunion.  The collection agency was somehow able to prove to the credit bureaus that the original $1469 debt was mine despite the fact that they were unable to give me anything other than what was on the credit report.  I gave up for several months.
After getting educated about credit, I began sending all communication by certified mail with return reciept requested.  I requested a statement showing the purchases that were made on this account.  Just as the limit on there FTC time period expired, I checked my credit reports and found that it had been removed.  The story does not end there.
Well I thought I had won.  4 months later another collection account showed on my credit reports.  After some research, I found out this was the same account the original collection agency had months before.  They simply sold the account.  I repeated the process by mail again and got the same results.
To make a long story short, I'm now on my 6 or 7 agency with this account.  I'm exhausted with the process.  The evil collections agencies are driving me made.  Once they near the end of the timeline, they sell it to another agency.  Therefore, I have to start the process from the beginning.  Over the years, I've been told that original account was 1)line of credit, 2)credit card, 3)computer purchase, 4)utility service, 5)car loan, 6)cash advance, or some other off-the-wall purchase that makes even less since.  May I add that some of the things listed I didn't have until 2+ years after I started this war.  The others I still haven't had until this day.  If you look at the amount, you'll be pressed to figure out how anyone could rack $1469 on a power bill.  I even went as far as contacting the only power company in area I live in (and have always lived in) to get every statement ever listed in my name.  Guess what?  The statements showed highest balance was $110, latest payment was 4 days past the due date, first account opened 3 months after the original debt was charged.
Results to date
Equifax removed the collection account after agency 3 and original creditor about 3 months ago.  Now they won't even add it when the new agency tries to listed it.  I guess that paid off.
Experian has the most recent collection agency and the original creditor listed.  I will just wait the 10 months to the 7 year expiration.  It's futile to fight at this point.
Transunion  has only the original creditor listed and I'm waiting for the expiration as well.

Good Luck!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.