Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure if I'm OK now (Fraud)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure if I'm OK now (Fraud)

I recently got a fraudalent charge on my discover card for $325.49, that was taken care of pretty quickly though. Caught it in a couple days, discover credited my account and closed it out, then opened me a new one up. I cant say I use my card a lot besides reoccuring things like my car insurance payments, netflix ofcourse, etc...So I am not sure how to know how or when someone got my card info...or if its possible

Today I got an email from twitch saying there could be activity from someone else on my account, which I havent used that in forever ( so yes it was absolutely someone else) and no one i know has my password or even username to it. It seems a strange place to mess with if someone does have my info since it has no financial or other relevant info on it, i dont think you can even buy anything on the site.

Perhaps I am just paranoid now, Should I be worried? Is there anything to do besides change all my passwords? (which i already did, at least anything I still use)

Am I safe from whoever got my card info? I thought closing my discover account was the end of it period

Any advice or stories, anybody that has dealt with fraud in their lives, would be greatly appreciated and welcomed

Thanks, I'm honestly kind of nervous

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Not sure if I'm OK now (Fraud)

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently got a fraudalent charge on my discover card for $325.49, that was taken care of pretty quickly though. Caught it in a couple days, discover credited my account and closed it out, then opened me a new one up. I cant say I use my card a lot besides reoccuring things like my car insurance payments, netflix ofcourse, etc...So I am not sure how to know how or when someone got my card info...or if its possible

Today I got an email from twitch saying there could be activity from someone else on my account, which I havent used that in forever ( so yes it was absolutely someone else) and no one i know has my password or even username to it. It seems a strange place to mess with if someone does have my info since it has no financial or other relevant info on it, i dont think you can even buy anything on the site.

Perhaps I am just paranoid now, Should I be worried? Is there anything to do besides change all my passwords? (which i already did, at least anything I still use)

Am I safe from whoever got my card info? I thought closing my discover account was the end of it period

Any advice or stories, anybody that has dealt with fraud in their lives, would be greatly appreciated and welcomed

Thanks, I'm honestly kind of nervous

I would just remove any CCs you may have stored as payment accounts and change your password. I had someone break into my online Walmart account and run up some charges on my Discover I had saved for payment. Since this occurred I have removed all stored payment cards and wont allow them to be stored. Discover canceled the card and issued a new one, I never heard another word about the fraud charges.

Message 2 of 3
Erusidhion
Frequent Contributor

Re: Not sure if I'm OK now (Fraud)

I got the same e-mail from Twitch. They do not store credit card/debit card or any kind of payment information on their servers at all as far as they said. I'm not sure how many people were affected by having to change their password but we weren't the only ones. It doesn't seem like it was a major breach though so I think you're good to go. This was just a general message and they should have worded it a little better than they did. No charges were on my card or any of the prior ones that I had used. I check my credit card balances and transaction history on a daily basis out of habit.

I don't think you need to close your card again for the Twitch thing though. I won't since they pretty much said no credit card information was stolen. If you use the same password on Twitch as multiple sites, well you should probably take precautions not to ever do that. Other than that I haven't noticed anything going on because of the Twitch thing.    

EQ 654 -- 43 Inquiries
TU 695 -- 54 Inquiries
EX 668 -- 50 Inquiries

Utilization: 9% AAoA: 20 months Total History: 3Y
Updated: 08/04/2017 Premier 3B
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.