Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure what to do

tag
dlsanderscott
New Visitor

Not sure what to do

I am looking at options for dealing with large medical bills. I have close to $60,000 worth of medical debt after a recept case of sepsis, gallbladder surgery and pnuemonia stay. I spent a little over a week in the hospital with I think 4 days in ICU. My husband and I recently bought a house with a requirement that we refinance the house within three years. It is currently a seller financed house. Anyway, I was looking into Chapter 13 bankruptcy, but my husband is totally against it. With our income, an attorney says our payments would be about $200 a month. Do you have any other suggestions for handling this medical debt?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: Not sure what to do

Have you attempted negotiation with the providers? It sounds as if you must have had an under insured / no insurance situation. In those cases the original billings are for full value of the services. Often the service provider is willing to negotiate a substantial (50%+) discount with a personal payment arrangement.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Not sure what to do

@dlsanderscott wrote:

I am looking at options for dealing with large medical bills. I have close to $60,000 worth of medical debt after a recept case of sepsis, gallbladder surgery and pnuemonia stay. I spent a little over a week in the hospital with I think 4 days in ICU. My husband and I recently bought a house with a requirement that we refinance the house within three years. It is currently a seller financed house. Anyway, I was looking into Chapter 13 bankruptcy, but my husband is totally against it. With our income, an attorney says our payments would be about $200 a month. Do you have any other suggestions for handling this medical debt?

I would get in touch with the hospitals financial aid department.  If they approve you much of the debt can be wiped out, if not all of it.  Most hospitals are more than willing to help in circumstances like this.  But, it isn't automatic, you will need to apply.

Also address the different departments that bill you.  Your bills will come from many different departments that don't necessarily fall under the hospital.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.