Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OC collected on a sold debt

tag
nosxih
Regular Contributor

OC collected on a sold debt

My DW paid an OC over the phone for a medical bill that was not late or reported on any CR's. While on the phone, they convinced her to pay a bill that WAS showing up on 1 report as a collection. Later I talked to the OC and they said that they sold the debt to a CA.
Can an OC collect on a debt that they sold to a CA and also, is there a HIPAA violation if they report PIF back to the CA since they collected the debt?
How can I get this collection removed?
thank you.

Message Edited by nosxih on 03-12-2008 06:13 AM
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
nosxih
Regular Contributor

Re: OC collected on a sold debt

I got a receipt in the mail for the total amount paid for both bills and it shows up only on the account number of the bill that wasn't in collection. Is this even legal? The CA told the OC that they cannot legally remove the item Any advice or comments?

Message Edited by nosxih on 03-12-2008 06:15 AM
Message 2 of 7
nosxih
Regular Contributor

Will a DV work in this case?
Message 3 of 7
danikasmom
Regular Contributor

The CA is talking out of a very dark place, to put it nicely.  If it were me, I would take that receipt from the OC and tell them that they made the mistake OR give you your money back!  You should be able to take that receipt and send a copy of it to the CRA's and dispute it as paid.  Is the amount on the CR the same as the one on the receipt and is there an account number on the receipt?  That should be enough to get that off of the report.  But that is only my opinion.  If nobody else chimes in on this, bump this post in the morning. 
Message 4 of 7
nosxih
Regular Contributor

The amount due for the account that was not in collection was $176.40 and the account number is 'XXX'. 
The account that is on my CR and in collection status was for $267.00 and the account number is 'YYY'

The receipt shows amount paid as $443.40 and it is listed under account 'YYY'. The receipt is from the OC.

So if I sent a dispute to the CRA as paid it would show up as an incorrect amount under an incorrect account number.

Message Edited by nosxih on 03-16-2008 08:30 PM
Message 5 of 7
danikasmom
Regular Contributor

I'm confused.  So, you basically paid BOTH of the balances???  BUT, the receipt is from the OC on the YYY account that is reporting.  It sounds to me that the OC collected DOUBLE and then some.  Who are they?  You DEFINITELY need to communicate with them like yesterday regarding this.  I think it will be fairly easy to get it off of your report but there is another issue here, that is if I understand correctly, that THEY now owe YOU money.  Is this right?
Message 6 of 7
nosxih
Regular Contributor

Ok, I did make a typo in my post that I want to correct: The receipt shows the whole balance paid for BOTH accounts ($443.40) but only lists account number 'XXX' (not YYY as I posted above). The OC is Pediatrix and the CA is Financial Corp of America.

DW called to only pay the 176.40 which was not in collections but she mentioned to them the account that was in collections and being reported on my CR. The OC then told DW that she can just pay both at once and they verbally agreed to take the item off the CR. I know that a verbal agreement ain't worth *hmpft* so I called them the next day and got the name and extension of an account manager and sure enought the person I spoke to said that they cannot take the item off the  report only mark it as paid. After trying to negotiate some more on the phone I then learned that the OC did not even own the debt but had sold it. Thus this saga began.

I don't really know if I have any recourse or if maybe HIPAA rules or FCRA rules may apply.  I just want the item off my report. I paid the whole amount in full so it seams reasonable to remove it.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.