Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OH MY GOD!!!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: OH MY GOD!!!!!!

John060675 wrote:
 I had this Cap 1 CC "sock drawered", and the only reason I found out about this activity was because I went on to my account to print up a statement.  I could have easily not seen this until they reported to the CRA's or until my next statement came around.  I could have lost valuable time.

I really hope this process will be quick and painless. 

I had something similar happen back in November of 06.  Got my statement on a Saturday and almost had a heart attack.  There were 3 unknown charges on it including one for a WesternUnion.com Money order for over $2000!!!!  I was on the phone in a hot minute disputing the charges and cancelling the card.  And shaking like a leaf.  After the card was cancelled, I got several calls from the credit card because fraudulent charges kept trying to be made.  It all turned out okay but I never did find out how someone got the number.  The card was always in our possession and I NEVER throw out receipts or anything that could have the number on it. 

Message 21 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope it works out.

We just had a similar experience with HSBC.  My sister has a credit card with them.  She has NEVER used it.  I checked her statement for her and there was a charge.  I disputed the charge and call HSBC.  After several weeks the charges was credited back. I had to make a min payment!

Next month same thing happens.  This time I am pissed.  How do you charge the card again from the SAME vendor after YOU discovered it to be fraud?!!  I had them cancel the card and issue another credit.

I would like to knwo how they got the card number?  My sister has never had possession of this card and it sit's in the "sock" drawer~!

Crazy!
Message 22 of 49
Dawn
Established Contributor

Credit Card Fraud

John060675 wrote:
I just called the phone number that they gave me for the "merchant" that charged my CC.  From what I can tell it is a gambling company.  WTF?

I have never used my CC for gambling.  How did they get my info?

Cap 1 better not give me a hard time with this.  I cannot believe I have to sit back and wait on their paperwork.

You have my deepest sympathies.  I know how frustrating and anxiety provoking a situation like this can be.  I do believe that with the steps you are taking that the issue will be resolved.  As far as "How did they get my info" ... there are so many ways the bad guys can get at us.  You may never know for sure. 

In this electronic age, every step of the process is "suspect" which means that we all have to carefully watch our accounts and report any unusual activity ASAP.  In addition, we need to all be security conscious computer users and make certain that our computers are as safe and secure as our knowledge and capabilities allow us to make them.

Before I "locked down" our home computer, my kids were always getting malware on their computer (no one touches *my* computer)  and I was always having to clean it up.  Even with my efforts to combat their "click happy" tendencies, they still fell for fake log-in pages on MySpace (I hate that site!) and regularly had to change passwords and "fix" their site after they were compromised.  I just hope and pray that they haven't fallen prey to any of the other phishing scams out there and already set themselves up for an eventual unpleasant surprise.

The next few days, my personal challenge is to "tweak" my daughter's new computer before she moves into her own apartment, in hopes that it doesn't get "owned" by some trojan that plants a keylogger on it, and steals all her personal information.  She relies heavily on online banking, yet is still not happy with the "inconveniences" of keeping her computer secure. At least I do know that she watches her accounts closely and will be immediately aware if anything fraudulent is going on.

Good luck with getting this unfortunate incident resolved.
Message 23 of 49
Dawn
Established Contributor

Credit Card Security Breaches

ragcajun wrote:
I hope it works out.

We just had a similar experience with HSBC.  My sister has a credit card with them.  She has NEVER used it.  I checked her statement for her and there was a charge.  I disputed the charge and call HSBC.  After several weeks the charges was credited back. I had to make a min payment!

Next month same thing happens.  This time I am pissed.  How do you charge the card again from the SAME vendor after YOU discovered it to be fraud?!!  I had them cancel the card and issue another credit.

I would like to knwo how they got the card number?  My sister has never had possession of this card and it sit's in the "sock" drawer~!

Crazy!

There are lots of articles on the internet that address the security breaches of merchants and credit card processors that contribute to these unpleasant uses of our accounts.  I suppose for every "plus" related to the conveniences of this electronic age, there are also ample "minuses."  Smiley Sad

Message Edited by denbar2003 on 10-22-2007 09:42 AM
Message 24 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card Security Breaches

denbar,

you have a point, still they could not explain how the SAME vendor hit the card for a monthly fee.  one would think that there is software they could use to alert them.

i am considering canceling the card.  my sister really does not need the $1K limit they gave her.
Message 25 of 49
John060675
Valued Contributor

This sucks.  Been on the telephone with Cap 1 Fraud department.  Started at 10:08am, waiting until 10:25am to get through.  Now back on hold and it is 10:40am.

Still holding................................

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 26 of 49
John060675
Valued Contributor

Finally spoke to Cap 1 Fraud Department.  She said they tried to use my CC 2 more times today, but was declined (since they closed the CC).

They cannot fax the paperwork to me, so I have to just sit back and wait for it.  Also, I asked her that I would not be responsible for the transactions.  She said that the investigators will look at it, and if they deem me to have used the CC then I would be responsible.

I swear, if they try to pull something like that, well lets just say it will not be pretty. 

So I wait, and I wait.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 27 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

John060675 wrote:
Finally spoke to Cap 1 Fraud Department.  She said they tried to use my CC 2 more times today, but was declined (since they closed the CC).

Take a deep breath and try to calm down.  It's obvious that it's fraud since you closed the account and they are still trying to access it.  When I asked about being responsible for the charges made on mine, they gave me a non answer too.  Once you get the paperwork, make copies..send it back using some kind of confirmation and then relax.  They were still trying to charge on mine, more than a month after the account was closed.  Seems like the fraud unit should be able to trace the computer the action comes from but if they did on mine, they never let me know it. 

Message 28 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good morning John. Take some time to get away from keyboard, look at the beautiful scenery of the state you live in, and relax a lil bit before going back to work on it.

First, ty for updating us. I went to bed last night thinking about it, and woke up this morning doing the same. If it happened to me, I'd have a nervous breakdown.

Secondly: In order to speed up the delivery time on the paperwork both from Cap1 to you, and for you to get the paperwork back to Cap1, I'd like to suggest that overnight delivery from them and you back to them, is justified. I know I would.

Even if it means sending you the paperwork and charging your acct. for the Fed-X overnight delivery, or UPS, USPS, what ever.

Time is of the essence.

And I agree totally with lilac. It's blatantly obvious to you and Cap1 that you are being defrauded. Have faith, friend.
Message 29 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sylviatob wrote:

Time is of the essence.

And I agree totally with lilac. It's blatantly obvious to you and Cap1 that you are being defrauded. Have faith, friend.

Ha!!  I still have my folder about my fraudulent charges.  Called on 11/06/2006.  Old card cancelled, new cards mailed same day.  Received letter detailing fraud dated 11/9/06.  Received it 11/16/06 and faxed it back on the 17th. I live in an area where mail delivery sucks so you may not have to wait as long.  Got several phone calls from the CC because the low lifes were still trying to use the card a good month after card cancelled.

Message 30 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.