Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OLD NSF check question

tag
alleycat1975
Regular Contributor

Re: OLD NSF check question

Still trying to find some points as to weather this was a contract or not..   I will say this..  written on the check, in the memo section (its on the copy he just sent me) it said "For xxxx Farm" 

I found on ehow where it said that Personal or buisness checks constitute a contract between a seller and a buyer.   However, The Ohio statute itself says in case of dishonored checks, its 3 years SOL..   I can't find anywhere in Ohio Statute that clarifies this..   ugh.

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@alleycat1975 wrote:

Here is the language from Ohio Revised code which addresses NSF checks:

(C) Except as provided in division (D) of this section, an action to enforce the obligation of a party to an unaccepted draft to pay the draft shall be brought within three years after dishonor of the draft or ten years after the date of the draft, whichever period expires first.

(D) An action to enforce the obligation of the acceptor of a certified check or the issuer of a teller’s check, cashier’s check, or traveler’s check shall be brought within three years after demand for payment is made to the acceptor or issuer.

the link to the full text is found here:  ORC 1303.16

As far as I know this accounts for both criminally and in civil cases.  I'll have to dig some more.   But this tells me that he had 3 years to collect and can now just bugger off.  I don't see in here where it would say paying it would restart the SOL but frankly, situation that it was, while i feel guilty about this in some respects, i'm just not in a position to deal with it and have to worry about a new SOL and all that all over again.

Now, would I have any right against him if he starts contacting everyone i know and telling them "hey she wrote me a bad check in 2005"?   because i can totally see this dude pulling that sort of stunt.

Thanks for all the advice! 

Your cite is of the UCC.  The UCC does not cover criminal actions.

Depending on the amount of the check, it can be considered a felony.  The SOL in Ohio for a felony is 6 years. 

Message 12 of 16
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Bad analysis.

You write the check, you assume the obligation.  Whatever arrangement OP had with his landlord is largely irrelevant to the issue he has with the holder of the bad check.

In your scenario of the utility bill, not only can the utility company have you criminally prosecuted for writing a bad check, they also have civil recourse against you.   

You may be correct that writing a check somehow operates as an automatic assumption of the underlying liability at law.  I find that odd, but it's been quite a few years since I took contracts, and I don't know the laws around checks.  But for criminal prosecution, don't you have to be presenting the check for goods or services received?  Offering to pay someone else's obligation doesn't seem like it could support a criminal charge.  Again, just my off the cuff reaction, you may be correct.

Criminal law: Present consideration:  Whether or not the writer of the check ultimately received the goods or services is irrelevant.  You go to the store with your spouse and you pay with a check that ultimately gets returned NSF.  You are the purchaser and because you ultimately gave the goods to someone else does not bar criminal prosecution. 

Contract law:  All the elements of a valid contract are present:

1.  Meeting of the Minds

2.  Offer & Acceptance

3.  Mutual Consideration

4.  Performance or Delivery

5.  Good Faith

6.  No Violation of Public Policy

You tender an unconditional promise to pay for value received.  In the scenario presented, that is exactly what happened.  A check was tendered in payment of goods.  These goods were then given to another in return for rent. 

Even if you missed Penal Law & also Contract Law, logic would also come into play. 

On the criminal law point, I didn't interpret the OPs recitation of the facts that way.  I thought he was paying a debt for goods already received by his landlord.  I was assuming that the landlord had already received the animal feed on credit.  In that scenario, it seems like an offer to pay an antecedent debt and not an exchange for present consideration.

I'll concede the civil point.  It seems analogous to a gift to me, which is why I initially didn't think they could enforce the obligation to pay the underlying liability.  I don't think there's anything illogical in that.  I agree with you that if we walk into a store and I write a check for something which they hand to you, it's illogical to assume I can wash my hands of it.  But if it's something you purchased on credit last week, and for no reason at all, I offer to pay it and my check bounces, it seems perfectly logical that I could pay whatever transaction fees were associated with the bounced check and nothing more.  Perhaps that's not the way it works, but I don't see any inherent contradiction.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 16
alleycat1975
Regular Contributor

Well that is generally what happend.  She would order feed, he would deliver it and leave a bill and she would pay it either next round or send it to him.  Its been so long at this point i don't know how this particular situation worked.   I do know that in the Memo section it was written " For xxx Farm"  and it wasn't in my hand writing at that so she must have filled that part in.  That makes me believe that I must have handed the check to her rather to him directly. 

If looked at criminally, with this amount, this would be a misdemeanor in Ohio.   So now the mighty question is, is this a contract or not LOL..   Seriously, I would pay the amount were it not for the fact that it was supposed to be a trailer payment and obviously I don't have that trailer.  If it were justifyably MY feed that fed MY horses, I would pay it. 

Message 14 of 16
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@alleycat1975 wrote:

Well that is generally what happend.  She would order feed, he would deliver it and leave a bill and she would pay it either next round or send it to him.  Its been so long at this point i don't know how this particular situation worked.   I do know that in the Memo section it was written " For xxx Farm"  and it wasn't in my hand writing at that so she must have filled that part in.  That makes me believe that I must have handed the check to her rather to him directly. 

If looked at criminally, with this amount, this would be a misdemeanor in Ohio.   So now the mighty question is, is this a contract or not LOL..   Seriously, I would pay the amount were it not for the fact that it was supposed to be a trailer payment and obviously I don't have that trailer.  If it were justifyably MY feed that fed MY horses, I would pay it. 

I may have presented a distinction without a difference.  O6 seems more knowledgeable in this area, so I will defer. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Walt_K wrote:

@alleycat1975 wrote:

I may have presented a distinction without a difference.  O6 seems more knowledgeable in this area, so I will defer. 

Walt raised a very good point that without present consideration there can be no criminal prosecution.  Of course, since the amount is under $500 that would be irrelevant.  In any event, the point could be argued that the check was in payment on an open account.  Nonetheless, the point is moot.

We've already established the UCC gives them three years to bring an action based strictly on NSF.

Is there a valid contract?  Again, the elements of a valid contract:

1.  Meeting of the Minds

2.  Offer & Acceptance

3.  Mutual Consideration

4.  Performance or Delivery

5.  Good Faith

6.  No Violation of Public Policy

Given the scenario you described, I would say that there is no contract between you and the payee, but I am not entirely certain that a court would see it the same way.  A lot depends on a physical play-by-play between all parties concerned.  I could see where there was no meeting of the minds nor offer & acceptance between you and the payee. 

Criminal liability has been eliminated.  Civil action due to the NSF eliminated.  A tort action?  Not likely as it would open up a whole can of worms lest they decide to just use small claims court. 

But can they badmouth you?  That they can as long as they just stick to the facts and any dirty words they call you they preface with something like, "In my opinion he's ... ." 

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.