Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OMG! What I have done ...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

OMG! What I have done ...

The following is the my post about AU and I believe this got to do something with it.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Adding-the-minor-child-as-AU/td-p/741704

This is unbelievable.   My 14 yrs old son received an offer from Allstate - Auto Insurance for California Driver - in the via mail.   I called them, and their rep told me that my son is prospected customer, and that's why the mail has sent out.

On the back of the letter, there is ...

PRESCREEN & OPT-OUT NOTICE:   This "prescreened" offer of insurance is based on information in your credit report indication that you meet certain criteria.  This offer is not guaranteed if you do not meet our criteria (including providing acceptable property collateral).  If you do not want to receive prescreened offers of insurance from this and other companies, call the consumer reporting agencies toll-free at 1-888-5OPT-OUT (1-888-567-8688); or write: Equifax Options, P.O. Box 740123, Atlanta, GA 30374-0123 or TransUnion, Opt Out Request, P.O> Box 505, Woodlyn, PA 19094-0505.  

I've just called and requested for Opt-Out my son's info.   It was automated system and it said the Opt-Out request will last for 5 yrs.   That's perfect!    Until he reaches 19, he will not get any prescreened offer.   Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Re: OMG! What I have done ...

Do they offer a special rebate for underage drivers? Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like Allstate, they are by far the cheapest for me. At 19 (20 now) when I had a 93 Corvette, it was $56 a month for state minimum and $198 for full coverage and a $500 deductible. When I added two more cars, it only went up $60 a month. To me that's not bad at my age and dangler tax... Ever since I was 18 I would get prescreen offers from competitions and usually at twice the price... One day I should call them and tell them what I pay and see if they will beat it.

Message 3 of 14
marty56
Super Contributor

Just to be on the safe side, I would get a copy of your son's credit report.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 4 of 14
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm.....my kids (currently 4 and 6) have been receiving credit card offers for the American Airlines AAdvantage credit card (Citi?) for the last couple years.  I always assumed that it was because they have their own frequent flier numbers.  I shred them without even looking at the fine print.  They're not AUs on any credit cards for me.  I should check for similar language the next time they receive one.  It's possible that his name came up on Allstate's radar because of the AU thing, but I don't think it's necessarily because they actually ran his credit and found him to be a good candidate.  I suspect that the verbiage on the back is just standard boilerplate that appears on everything. But this is just conjecture on my part.

Interestingly, my kids always get better offers than me.  Their envelopes tell them that they can earn 50,000 bonus miles, whereas I only ever get offered 30,000.  And my pre-approved APR is higher than theirs.

Message 5 of 14
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Lel wrote:

Hmmm.....my kids (currently 4 and 6) have been receiving credit card offers for the American Airlines AAdvantage credit card (Citi?) for the last couple years.  I always assumed that it was because they have their own frequent flier numbers.  I shred them without even looking at the fine print.  They're not AUs on any credit cards for me.  I should check for similar language the next time they receive one.  It's possible that his name came up on Allstate's radar because of the AU thing, but I don't think it's necessarily because they actually ran his credit and found him to be a good candidate.  I suspect that the verbiage on the back is just standard boilerplate that appears on everything. But this is just conjecture on my part.

Interestingly, my kids always get better offers than me.  Their envelopes tell them that they can earn 50,000 bonus miles, whereas I only ever get offered 30,000.  And my pre-approved APR is higher than theirs.

Their credit profile must be better?  Smiley Tongue

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lel wrote:

Wow!  How nice!!   Smiley Very Happy

It might be ...

That's good idea, and if there is any choice ... Opt-Out them to not keep receiving the offers.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@marty56 wrote:

That's good idea marty.   I will do that ...   Thanks!

Message 8 of 14
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Looks like  the credit card companies have reported your son as an authored user. to the bureaus.  I would remove him as an authorized user from any account(s).  The opt out will stop the pre screened offers but does nothing to stop potential identity theft.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@marty56 wrote:

marty, I just tried to get one from Credit Karma but I could not get it for my son.  It said must be at least 18 yrs and 1 mo old to obtain the CR.  I assume AnnualCreditReport site will be the same.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.