Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OPM-Hard Inquiry?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

OPM-Hard Inquiry?

Hello, I am totally new here. I wanted to get this post out as I am so confused this morning. I am working for a federal contractor and they conducted a background check (although I was told they would not touch my credit).

Now this morning, I wake up, see a hard inquiry done by this company: LN-OPM. It was obvious it was OPM as their acronym is in the company's name and I also searched for it. This is how I came to this site.

I thought they were only to do soft inquiries, no? Also, my score dropped by 30 points. I believe it is for a judgment that was placed on my report. How do I make payment arrangements for this? 

So now my TU is at 523 and my Experian is at 545. I have to get my Equifax report.  Can someone assist me? Will this now affect my job? Thanks for any help!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: OPM-Hard Inquiry?

Hi - You can get your EQ report here at MYFICO.  If you have ScoreWatch it will be only 14 bucks instead of 19.  either way - your call.

You can get the judgment "taken care of" by paing it to the judgment creditor and then they will send the Courts a "satisfaction." Unless you weren't properly served, you are stuck with it - only can get it removed by going to court and fighting that they served you illegaly.

I dont' know if it will affect your job.  Are you already working for them?  I read on here another guy who worked for the military and he had to sit down with a bigbig boss and they gave him a chance to pay his bills and get his credit score up.  Apparently  they did a hard inquiry not a soft - I think it depends on your employer.  The FEDS and the State and the Counties def. look at credit, especially if the job is "security related".

Good Luck - any more questions let us know.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello and thanks for your reply! Yes, I am already working for them, DOD. It is a contractor, so I am not sure how this will work out.  I will get my EQ report and yes, I have ScoreWatch, thanks!  I was not properly served, no, so I have yet something else to look into...I am determined to get this done in time so I will not have to go through it again!

Message 3 of 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Well if it was me, I'd be pounding down the boss's door tomorrow to see what's up!  DOD - woohoo!

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, hopefully I can speak to them tomorrow and work this out. Yeah, DOD is cool, I'll keep you posted!

Message 5 of 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I'm in security industry, also--- I LOVE it.

Message 6 of 7
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

I had a similar situation with OPM inquiries a few years ago. In fact they hit my report hard 3 times over a period of a few days. Mine was related to a security clearance check not just DOD employment (I am a contractor also). Anyway my credit situation was at least as bad as yours, including 2 judgments at the time. I ended up sitting down with an investigator from OPM who had me write explanatory letters for each delinquency and sign releases for them to contact each creditor as they deemed necessary. I also signed a letter that I was willing and would when able pay each delinquency.

They told me they were going to follow up and monitor my progress. I never had any further contact from the investigator. I did settle the judgments. Most of the other delinquent debt was old enough it dropped off reporting within a year and I never heard anything about paying or not paying them. BTW the OPM inquiries reversed to employment soft checks at some point shortly after they appeared (2-3 months if I remember correctly).

My situation is better now, my credit is greatly improved and I assume my next review will be all in the background with no questions for me, if I keep my nose clean.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.