Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OT - Paying bills on time - Whats your system

tag
marty56
Super Contributor

OT - Paying bills on time - Whats your system

Until I entered a DMP, my bill paying system was never late but random and I had no control over spending and didnt know how much money I was spending and I was always running out of money

The DMP forced me to make a budget and I used the following method:

1.  I created a spread sheet that had a column for each payday (I am bi-weekly).  I added a row for each bill.

2.  I used online billpay at my credit union to schedule the bill to be paid on the dates that I got paid and would insure that the date was always before their due date.  In this way I was only paying bills twice a month which made it easier to manage.

I was able to see what my early budget  looked like and because I was paid bi-weekly, I would also see what months, and how much extra mondy I had each pay check.

I was amazed at the extra money I was able to find not to mention the bills getting paid on time.

Even though I have finhsed my DMP, I will do this the rest of my life.

Please share your ideas here so maybe we can help someone who is having problems managing their money.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: OT - Paying bills on time - Whats your system

I decided the best thing to do was to spend less than I earn  Smiley Very Happy

I would like to replace my 21 year old Microwave, but it works.  Ditto the 20 year old stero.  Ditto the 12 year old car.

I would love some more toys, but I can't afford them.  I would love to travel more, but I can't afford it.  My family is better off if I put money in a 401K rather than into a big new flat screen TV

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 15
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Midnight...............Your system is the best one.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Midnight, run that car into the ground!  That should be the american way...instead of getting flashy new toys every few years.

I wish people would try to get all the use out of what they have.
Message 4 of 15
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

I am guilty. I always have the lastest\greatest tech toys. And I lease so I can get a new car every few  years. Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 15
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Tuscani wrote:
I am guilty. I always have the lastest\greatest tech toys. And I lease so I can get a new car every few  years. Smiley Happy

Ah, but you are rich  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 6 of 15
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

MidnightVoice wrote:

Tuscani wrote:

I am rich bitch!
Message 7 of 15
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Smiley Surprised
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tuscani wrote:

MidnightVoice wrote:

Tuscani wrote:

I am rich bitch!

You are just like my mom.

She has a $400/month lease.  She's currently on a 06 nissan maxima.  She can't wait to trade it in.  She's like Mariah Carey.  Total diva.
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I receive a bill, I immediately pay the minimum amount due.  Then I schedule the balance to be paid about 3 days before the due date.  So if anything gets messed up with the second payment, at least I've covered myself by paying the minimum on time.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.