Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OT Rainy Season In Hawaii!

tag
fused
Moderator Emeritus

OT Rainy Season In Hawaii!

Well it was a rough night last night! Reports of massive flooding! Noah (not Noah_Bodie) where is your boat?

My rain gauge measured 9.25 inches of rain in less than 3 hours. This is just the beginning according to the NWS, this system will be around until late Tuesday night. The totals island wide after 3 hours of rain...now this is Hawaii!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: OT Rainy Season In Hawaii!

Sounds VERY wet-
Your welcome to come visit me...

Phoenix, AZ
80°F
Clear
Wind: SW at 4 mph
Humidity: 16%
Today
Clear
High 89° | Low 60
Message 2 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Early, isn't it? I thought this started more like late December/ January.

Cripes, that is the longest URL I have ever seen! Smiley Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Reports of massive mud and rock slides are coming in. A boulder the size of truck smashed a house in area called Aina Haina. Lightening strikes have left parts of leeward (west side) Oahu w/o power. Around 3 a.m. it was raining so hard that I thought our roof was going to collapse and kill us...like bricks falling from the sky! I haven't experienced a storm this violent in 15 years. Whew chicken skin (goose bumps)! Seems to be letting up a bit now though...only falling at about 1-2 inches an hour.
Message 4 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Aina Haina's kind of vertical anyway, isn't it? Hope everyone's foundations are anchored down OK.

In the 5+ years I lived there, I never once saw lightning. Just didn't happen.

But in the 30+ years I've been in East Tennessee, I think I've seen 5 rainbows (one double.) Smiley Sad

No school tomorrow, though, I bet! Rain day, rain day!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Technically, Hawaii's rainy season begins in October. The last time I remember such a fantastic eletrical storm was about 12 years ago. This one was bombastic! I really thought that we were in serious danger! It was very scary and I have survived a huge hurricane, Iniki, in 1992. This storm was far worse and it wasn't an organized tropical system. The NWS is saying the worse is yet to come, hopefully we don't lose power and water.
Message 6 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Go load up on bottled water and candles. And Spam! Smiley Very Happy

Around here, the slightest hint of snow, and bread and milk vanish from the stores within a half hour.

Don't know what we all do with it; it's just a conditioned reflex.

I think the dairies and bakeries bribe the forecasters...
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow. Wasn't earlier this year there was something like, 45 straight days of rain?

I have family in Honolulu, mostly around Diamond Head and friends around UH main campus. I do remember one of my cousins saying that Jan/Feb was rainy season and that Fall is tourist off-season. Since you say October is the start of rainy season, maybe there's a connection?

Worse yet to come? Oh, hope it doesn't get much worse for you folks!!!
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hear ya about thinking the roof was caving. I grew up in south Fl. and in 30 years I went through many bad hurricans, BUT when hurrican Andrew hit I thought we were all dead! I knew I was moving told hubby he could come to but I was going no matter what. It took 2 months before we could get a moving co.into the area. I packed 1 - 3 bedroom house & a 3 bedroom condo within 24 hours and moved to Ct.................I will never live there again!!!!!!!!!

Many people have have no idea how scary some storms can be.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.