cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obtaining validation on a collection

tag
alecia1270

Obtaining validation on a collection

Four days ago I received the below alert that my FICO score dropped 10 points.  At this point, I don't know if it has hit all three bureaus. 

Account Number:  xxxxx
Balance:  $50
Past Due:  $50
Credit Limit or Largest Balance:  Not reported
Payment Terms:  Not reported
Status:  At least 120 days or more than four payments past due
Portfolio Type:  Open account
Description:  Collection account
Contact: NCO Financial Group 507 Prudential Road, Horsham, PA  190442308  (888) 660-3234

As you can see, this provides limited information.  I IMMEDIATELY called NCO to find out what this is for and got transferred twice before a 'supervisor' was on the phone to help me.  She asked me who the creditor was, what the account number was etc.  I told her I didn't know the original creditor and the she couldn't find anything with the account number I gave her from the CR.  She asked for my social and then put me on hold.  A couple of minutes later she picked up and told me it is from AT & T from September 2003.  She then gave me the account number that AT & T gave to NCO.  She said the account number listed in my CR is the account number that the CRA assigns.  Is this true?  Why would there be different account numbers?  Typically, and correct me if I'm wrong, the account numbers from AT & T are your home phone number with area code and then a 3 or 4 digit customer code at the end.   If that is the case, the account number from AT & T doesn't even coincide with any phone number that I have ever had.  When I questioned why I never received any type of notice, she said they (NCO) sent notices to the address that was given to them by AT & T (an address that I moved away from in November, 2006).  When I questioned whether or not I could dispute the fact that I never got a notice, she told me it was their word against mine.  Do I have any recourse here?  I also noticed that NCO made an inquiry into my credit file in December 2007 that I did not initiate.  Could that be tied to this?  They claim they received the account from AT & T in November, 2007.  After hanging up with NCO, I called AT & T directly to find something on this account number and came up with nothing.  AT & T told me that 'phone number' belongs to a cell phone in a different state.  Sorry to be so long-winded but I wanted to make sure I got all the details in.

I have three other collections on my CR, that were valid and PAID IN FULL as soon as I found out about them.  (Again, found out through pulling my credit report as notices were never forwarded to me).  Is it possible that NCO is 'fishing' since I had a collection with them in the past?  What is my first step?  Should I dispute the inquiry and ask for debt validation at the same time or approach them separately?

Any help is greatly appreciated.  I am currently in the middle of trying to refi my home and only one bureau report has been pulled so far....I don't want this to show up but I REFUSE to pay something that isn't valid.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Obtaining validation on a collection

Hello Alecia,

I dealt with NCO many years ago and they are a tough cookie. Unfortunately there is no quick fix here. The best thing is to pay the bill and write a GFL to NCO explaining the situation formally and ask then to remove from your credit report and if they don't ask them to report the actual date late. I would then explain the situation to whatever lender your applying to and show them that you moved and that you have taken care of the problem as soon as it was bought to your attention. Once that is cleared up then you can provide paperwork that you were noth at that address.Your refinancing is worth more than $50, so I would pay ASAP and dispute later.

Note: Infom the bank immediately, better to tell them than for them to learn this information on there own. 
Message 2 of 10
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Alecia, you first need to know what the SOL is for your state. Do not pay it yet. And never pay without first gettting a PFD. Never PFD before DVing. So, your first step is to DV (use the lonnster letter). Never sign your name, just type it. Stop talking to CAs on the phone, just get everything in writing.

To answer a couple of your questions:

She said the account number listed in my CR is the account number that the CRA assigns. Is this true?

Yes, typically a CA will assign its own account number.

Why would there be different account numbers?

Because they have their own accounting system, different from all of the OCs that they get accounts from.

Typically, and correct me if I'm wrong, the account numbers from AT & T are your home phone number with area code and then a 3 or 4 digit customer code at the end.

I don't know.

When I questioned whether or not I could dispute the fact that I never got a notice, she told me it was their word against mine. Do I have any recourse here?

Yes, DV letter.

I also noticed that NCO made an inquiry into my credit file in December 2007 that I did not initiate. Could that be tied to this?

Most definitely and without a doubt is.

I have three other collections on my CR, that were valid and PAID IN FULL as soon as I found out about them. (Again, found out through pulling my credit report as notices were never forwarded to me)

I would try to GW these to see whether or not they will remove. Never pay a CA without getting a delete in return (that is my philosophy anyway).

CERTIFIED MAIL #

Your Name
Your Address
YourTown,, State ZipCode

Debt Collection Company Name
Their address
Town, State ZipCode

Date:

Re: Debt Collection Company Name; Acct # Debt Collection Company

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is being sent to you as you are reporting on my personal credit report. Be advised that this is a notice sent pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 USC 1692g Sec. 809 (b) that your claim is disputed and validation is requested.

This is NOT a request for “verification” or proof of my mailing address, but a request for FULL MEDIA VALIDATION made pursuant to the above named Title and Section. I respectfully request that your offices provide me with competent evidence that (a) the account is valid, (b) the amount allegedly owed is accurate, and (c) I have a contractual obligation to pay Debt Collection Company Name for this alleged debt.

All of the following MUST be provided to adequately validate the authenticity of the alleged debt AND provide proof of my contractual obligation to Debt Collection Company Name for this alleged debt:

• Signed credit application between myself and the original creditor
• Copies of all signed vouchers from the date account was opened until default
• Copies of all statements from the date account opened until default
• Proof of the statute of limitations
• Proof of agreement that you were hired by the Original creditor (creditor as defined by the FDCPA) or
• A copy of the contract Debt Collection Company Name purchased the alleged debt.
• If the alleged debt was purchased, provide a copy of an agreement between Debt Collection Company Name and myself, signed by me, stating that I have a contractual responsibility to Debt Collection Company Name for the alleged debt
• Provide proof that Debt Collection Company Name is bonded/Licensed for debt collecting in the State of Your State

Be advised that failing to provide ALL of the media requested to validate the alleged debt will invalidate any and all claims Debt Collection Company Name is asserting regarding this alleged debt. If Debt Collection Company Name can NOT provide all of the validation media requested above, ALL collection efforts MUST be stopped and the account MUST be DELETED from the Debt Collection Company Name database and all credit reporting agencies. If you can NOT validate your claim, you can NOT, by law, collect on it, or SELL it to another collection agency. Also, reporting a debt to the credit reporting agencies that can not be validated is a violation of the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act), and carries a $2500 fine to be paid to me. I have two years to decide if I want to pursue this matter. PLEASE GIVE THIS MATTER THE ATTENTION IT DESERVES.

If your offices are able to provide all of the validating media as requested, I will require at least 30 days to investigate this information, and during such time, all collection activity must cease and desist.

I am also stating, in writing, that no telephone contact be made by your offices. If your offices attempt telephone communication with me, including but not limited to computer generated calls and calls or correspondence sent to or with any third parties, it will be considered harassment, and I will have no choice but to file suit. All future communications with me MUST be done in writing and sent to the address noted in this letter by United States Postal Service.

Best Regards,

Your Name

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow Byrdman,

I wish I'd known you when I was dealing with this company. I never knew how much power I had as a consumer. Heck I could have gotten my Collection deleted then, thats good stuff. So what if you paid the company how do you get the paid collections moved?

Thanks,

Will
Message 4 of 10
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Will, you need to send a GW letter to attempt to get paid collections off of your report. You are basically begging for them to do you a favor. Here is an example:

Dear Ms. NAME:

I was a company name customer since 19XX and during that time, I have enjoyed my experience with company name greatly. I am writing to see if you would be willing to make a "goodwill" adjustment to your reporting to the three credit agencies. I have two late payments on the above referenced account that date back to 19XX. Since that time I have been an exceptional customer paying every month on time.

Because of my exceptional payment history over the last X years, I would like you to consider removing the negative payments from my credit report. At the time of the late payments, I was in the process of changing jobs. I say that not to justify why the payments were late, but rather to show that the late payments are not a good indicator of my actual credit worthiness. I hope that company name is willing to work with me on erasing this mark from my credit reports.

I have been a very happy customer in the past and hope to continue a long relationship with company name. With today’s credit industry so competitive, I know how important it is to maintain good relationships with customers. Company name has been exceptional in my book so far and I highly recommend it to all my friends and relatives. I hope that you will deeply consider my request and prove once again, why company name is heads above the rest. I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

your name

You can search these threads and get some other examples.

GL

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you ByrdMan...that letter is going out today! NCO added a collection account on my DW's file...no warning (except the hard pull noted above)...
Message 6 of 10
alecia1270

Thank you so much for your thorough response and pointing me in the right direction.  I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it!!!  

Message 7 of 10
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

You are so very welcome. GL.

Message 8 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

She said the account number listed in my CR is the account number that the CRA assigns. Is this true?

Yes, typically a CA will assign its own account number

Not to step on your toes ByrdMan, the CA told her CRAs assign account numbers.
Message 9 of 10
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

No problem guiness. I answered it as though it read CA, not CRA, so I was good anyway (albeit, a bit hazy though).

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.