Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd issue with collection-need advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Odd issue with collection-need advice

Have an unusual situation that I'm trying to head off at the pass before it affects my score.  I got a settlement letter in the mail from an agency who had purchased my account from another agency.  The offer was for half of the stated balance.  The only issue is that I am not familiar with either agency, do not have any current accounts past due, nor do I have any collections, other than one from 4 years ago that has zero balance, on my just pulled report.  I called the company to inquire as to whom I owe this money to and they identified AT&T broadband.  The only time I think I had them was at end of 2000.  If in fact this is factual, I certainly am not going to pay on account that old but my question is can they collect on it and can they report it, with it being 7+ years old?  If they do turn it into a collection, what recourse do I have?

Thank you for any help/advice!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Odd issue with collection-need advice

The first thing I would do is DV them before the 30 days is up. Otherwise they will put it on your report legal or not and you will have to deal with the fight of getting it deleted. So....send them a strong DV letter CMRRR.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.