Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ok! So I opted out!...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok! So I opted out!...

...So what does that do for me? I mean, other than saving millions of trees and protecting me from a constant barrage of crappy offers (0% APR!*** ***APR adjusts to 26% after one month and then we torture your mother, "Misery"-style..) what does it really DO?
Does it stop hard pulls w/o my knowledge? Isn't that illegal anyway? Or does it just keep the temptation for crummy cc's and loans at bay?

-ivyalmighty
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ok! So I opted out!...

Opting out -
Prevents Promotional inq's -
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

My opt out seemed to opt me in for Amex. Smiley Wink But 'everything' else stopped coming in the mail.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can read this on the FTC's website--

Message 4 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

... Or does it just keep the temptation for crummy cc's and loans at bay?
-ivyalmighty
That's what I used it for! Smiley Happy

It was great for morale to not get crappo offers, and it was also great for my rebuilding period to not be tempted. When you're opted out, even the pre-qual sites online don't work.

Once I'd waited things out --I'm thinking that this was after 4 months or so, I opted back in, just to see who thought that the "new me" fit their profile. Of course, my first offer was for financing for new storm gutters, which was a bit discouraging, but they started getting a bit better with time. And it's entirely possible that a sapling survived because of my opt-out period.

Now that I'm done for a while, I'll probably opt back out, except that it's fun to get mailers from CCC's that didn't send them out in time for my app-o-rama last month. I enjoy the opportnity to go neener-neener-neener at them!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

File a BK and you won't get promo inquiries for awhile, ha ha.  

Only Cap One, HSBC and lately, Barclay's.   No one else has been pulling promos for me since I filed last July and discharged in October.   Fortunately, my scores are high enough to prevent First Premier slimeballs from sending me any junk......

At least my soft inq's are going down..........
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.