Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Charge Off coming back to bite me

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old Charge Off coming back to bite me

I have a charged off auto loan with a DOFD of Dec 05... In cali, im about 8 months away from SOL on it. yesterday i got a phone call basically threatening legal action if I dont pay this. This is the first I have heard from them ever, and they only had an old address for me. They offered that if I pay half of the balance (which is still more than I can swing right now) it would go away.I guess my question is, is there a way to prolong the process so that it is out of SOL and they cant come after me with a judgement? They dont even have my correct address yet so I havent gotten anything in the mail, only the one phone call so far. Any help would be appreciated, thanks Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
MattH
Senior Contributor

Re: Old Charge Off coming back to bite me

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a charged off auto loan with a DOFD of Dec 05... In cali, im about 8 months away from SOL on it. yesterday i got a phone call basically threatening legal action if I dont pay this. This is the first I have heard from them ever, and they only had an old address for me. They offered that if I pay half of the balance (which is still more than I can swing right now) it would go away.I guess my question is, is there a way to prolong the process so that it is out of SOL and they cant come after me with a judgement? They dont even have my correct address yet so I havent gotten anything in the mail, only the one phone call so far. Any help would be appreciated, thanks Smiley Happy

Do the utter absolute totality of what you can do to come up with the half of the balance they are offering as soon as possible, because that is likely to be your best option.  Otherwise they will probably go after you in court for the full amount by garnishing income or liens against assets, so they will extract the full amount and you will get a judgement on your history which will severely damage your credit for years to come.  You cannot stop the clock by stalling them, they are probably well aware of SOL and are coming after you now precisely because they know SOL will run out in eight months.  The only way for you to avoid a judgement is to settle rapidly before the case gets into a courtroom.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.