Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Closed Accounts- When Removed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old Closed Accounts- When Removed?

Do old accounts that have been paid & closed get removed? After how many years?
(Nothing negative ever reported on them)

IE:
A credit card that was "closed by consumer" and last active in 1999 and a home equity loan paid off in 2000.

Thanks!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Old Closed Accounts- When Removed?

10 years after they close.

And it can reduce you average age of account and reduce your score as a result
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

TU stated that I have "too many credit accounts" and shows it to be 28. The majority of which are paid/closed.

Thanks.
Message 3 of 6
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Kwa wrote:

TU stated that I have "too many credit accounts" and shows it to be 28. The majority of which are paid/closed.

Thanks.

Check the individual TLs for your closed accounts on TU.  Sounds like they are reporting some as open.  If so, make a copy of the directly pulled (full account numbers etc) report in case they wind up wiping them out when they try to update them.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 4 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks.

kwa, when you say "TU", do you mean that this is on your TU *FICO* score report, or is it on the report that you pulled from TU or a credit monitoring service?

Unless rhe advice is on a FICO report, I wouldn't go closing or trying to remove perfectly good accounts! The score improvement tips that you get on the credit bureau sites can be BAD for your real scores.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Kwa wrote:

Thanks.

That's just TU Hogwash! FICO scoring could care less how many accounts you have so long as they are in good standing, have low util on revolving lines and no lates. Open and closed accounts are weighted equally in FICO scoring. Just make sure no closed account has any balance...this is very bad.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.