Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Medical Bill

tag
cec2417
Established Member

Old Medical Bill

I am sure this has probably been answered before but I can't seem to find it anywhere so I wanted to ask it again.  I recently received a call from a collection agency stating that they have an account in reference to a medical account.  They stated that it was from Feb 2002.  The person I spoke to on the phone stated that she did not have a doctor or hospital's name.  She stated it was from PW Associates which is just a generic association for the county I live and could be a number of doctors or hospitals.  I asked her why I was just being contacted about it after 6 years and she stated that they had tried to contact me.  She gave me the address I lived at in 2002 and I told I had not lived there in several years.  I gave her my new address and stated I wanted to get something in writing about this debt because I had no idea what it was for.  Before getting my new address she tried to get me to verify my Social, which I would not do. 

My question is does this sound like a scam to anyone else?  It's possible that I went to the doctor when I was at the address she gave me but I do not remember not paying a fee or bill ( I don't even remember going to the doctor for anything).  Plus how did they get my new phone number after all this time and why did they not contact me before if they had contact info for me.  This is not on my credit report and the SOL in my state is 6 years.  They did send me something in the mail but all it was was a generic bill form saying that I owed 209.00.  Nothing else about the debt.  Should I even bother DVing this or trying to pay since it is not reporting and it is so old?

Sorry this is so long, just think this is very strange.  Especially considering that I had medical insurance back then so a simple trip to the doctor would have cost $25 not $200. 
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Old Medical Bill

google whychat hippa

wait to get what she sends then ask the OC for an investigation (not a validation)  change the letter located here as appropriate
Message 2 of 3
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Old Medical Bill

Here's the whychat link. GL!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.