New Visitor

Old State Tax Lien

I found on my credit report an 8 year old tax lien from the state.  This was in conjunction with a business I owned and operated that was closed in 1986.

I don't recall ever having seen any correpondence and suspect it was without basis but the paperwork related to the business is long gone.

Should I contact the state about removing it or just wait it out?  From the board discussion, it appears state tax liens stick around for 15 years.

It's not a huge deal to me since my income allows me to buy my vehicles and homes absent the use of credit.  I would, however, like to get my credit polished up to closer to where it was prior to my divorce.

Sit tight or engage the state?

An thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Courtney
Contributor

Re: Old State Tax Lien

I had an old paid state tax lien on my TU report from 1990. I disputed with TU because the lien was paid and they had it reported as owed. The first time I disputed TU didn't do anything. So the next month I disputed again and they deleted the lien from my report. I had called the clerks office and inquired about this and she told me TU would have to send in an auditor in order to get the records. I figured that is why nothing was done on the first dispute. When I disputed the second time it was deleted within a few days.
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.