New Visitor
Courtney

Old State Tax Lien

I found on my credit report an 8 year old tax lien from the state.  This was in conjunction with a business I owned and operated that was closed in 1986.

I don't recall ever having seen any correpondence and suspect it was without basis but the paperwork related to the business is long gone.

Should I contact the state about removing it or just wait it out?  From the board discussion, it appears state tax liens stick around for 15 years.

It's not a huge deal to me since my income allows me to buy my vehicles and homes absent the use of credit.  I would, however, like to get my credit polished up to closer to where it was prior to my divorce.

Sit tight or engage the state?

An thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Courtney
Contributor
onmyway3161

Re: Old State Tax Lien

I had an old paid state tax lien on my TU report from 1990. I disputed with TU because the lien was paid and they had it reported as owed. The first time I disputed TU didn't do anything. So the next month I disputed again and they deleted the lien from my report. I had called the clerks office and inquired about this and she told me TU would have to send in an auditor in order to get the records. I figured that is why nothing was done on the first dispute. When I disputed the second time it was deleted within a few days.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}