New Visitor
gnacer

Old credit balances

I have had my troubled youth, and trying to get back on track.  I have some old outstanding balances that were never paid totalling $1750.  These are from 2000 / 2002.  I understand that paying them off isn't going to remove them from my score.  These will be dropping off this year, and 2009 whether they are paid or not.  I live in CA, and from what I have heard there is a statute of limitations that a debtor has that they can take legal action to collect a debt.

So the big question, should I pay these, or let them lie and wait.
Regular Contributor
Skiffy

It's really up to you. However, if you have a credit card...

It's really up to you.

However, if you have a credit card with a $1750 balance -- and it hasn't been sold, then it still counts on your total utilization. The limit is effectively zero, so your utilization is infinite.

Let's say you also had a credit card with a limit of $2000 and a balance of zero. On that card, you'd have a utilization of 0%.

However, your overall utilization = ($1750 + $0) / ($0 + $2000) = 87.5%

In other words, even though paying off an amount owing doesn't generally help increase your score, paying off charged off revolving accounts may help.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}