Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old medical bills & insurance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old medical bills & insurance

The majority of my bad debt is old medical bills from 4-5 yrs ago. There is a set of them from a time when I  know I had insurance, and the amounts are big enough ($700, $290, etc) that I'm pretty sure insurance should have covered these & didn't. I used to work in medical billing so I kind of have an eye for the amounts, plus I remember the two events based on the dates.

Problem is, I don't even remember what insurance I carried at the time and I'm obviously not insured through that company anymore.
Is there any way to dispute that insurance should have paid at this point or should I just try PFD?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Old medical bills & insurance

I would contact the OC  they should have the ins. info.   then call the ins.co....you might find that the bills were not sent by or were coded wrong by the provider.
Message 2 of 3
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Old medical bills & insurance

Agree with HappyDays. Your insurance company from that time should be entered on the encounter form.

DH had a medical collection show up on his reports for an out-of-state ER visit by a daughter. The facility charge was submitted and paid, I paid the co-pay, and the physician billing service coded or filed it wrong. It was denied, and they never bothered to do anything with it, and a year or so later, they apparently turned it over to collections.

We no longer have that insurance company, plus it was bought out by another company, but I tracked therm down, and the CSR's I spoke with spent 3 weeks thrashing through it. They finally got the check authorized and sent out last week, and it should be getting deposited today. Now to get the collection removed...

I can't say enough good things about United Healthcare! They definitely went the extra mile for us, even though they were never actually our insurors.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.