Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old medical claims in collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old medical claims in collections

I am new to myfico. I have a very specific question. I have serveral old medical claims that were unpaid even though I had insurance. I was really sick and couldn't even answer the phone when the collectors called. I didn't even know anything was wrong with my credit until I went to buy a new car a few days ago. I called the orignators of the bill and asked for the claims to be filed with my insurance company. They said that because of their contract with my insurance company they missed the timely filing deadline (they only have a year to file a claim). She also told me it is now my responsability to pay. Does anyone know if this is correct? Are medical bills really held against your score?

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Old medical claims in collections

@Anonymous wrote:
I am new to myfico. I have a very specific question. I have several old medical claims that were unpaid even though I had insurance. I was really sick and couldn't even answer the phone when the collectors called. I didn't even know anything was wrong with my credit until I went to buy a new car a few days ago. I called the originators of the bill and asked for the claims to be filed with my insurance company. They said that because of their contract with my insurance company they missed the timely filing deadline (they only have a year to file a claim). She also told me it is now my responsibility to pay. Does anyone know if this is correct? Are medical bills really held against your score?
Thanks in advance.

Ask them for all the bills and YOU can submit to the ins co.
You may also have time limits-

This is pretty messed up that they neglected to file the claims.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info. The worst part about it is that this could have all been prevented had I recieved some bills or was told they needed my insurance information.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also have medical claims unpaid in my credit and my husband.  Maybe around 15.  When I started cleaning up our credit I called them all and all CA told me the same ( that the claims were to old and bla, bla , bla)  I called the insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois) and they told me (Who told you that)Smiley Indifferent that is not correct at least with them.  The insurance is paying each claim as long as my DH was covered at the time of the emergency or whatever reason he needed service.  Some of the claims are from 2002 and they are paying.  The process is slow because what they do is a representative from the insurance call the CA with you in the other line waiting and request the itemized bill.  For me is working, so check with your insurance and ask them to help you.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.