cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old stuff popping up...how to arrange Settlements.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old stuff popping up...how to arrange Settlements.

(Ooops, I originally posted this in Credit Card forum, but I believe it belongs here!)

OK, I'm new here so please imbibe me with your knowledge!! This is long, my apologies.

About 3 years back, I actively started taking control of my credit that I had royally screwed up with credit cards in college. In addition, I didn't know that my student loans had come into repayment (I was still in school) and I almost defaulted on 50K before I was granted a deferral...eek! So, I made settlements with my Victoria's Secret, Radio Shack and Maurices cards. Even though I know settlements aren't the greatest, those were the only options I had. But I also had 2 CC's through my bank that never showed up on my CR and I never recieved paperwork/ collections notices on, so those weren't included in my settlements back then.

Fast forward 3 years, and I am doing pretty well for myself. Last year I got my first CC to start rebuilding (trying to buy a house!), was granted a CC through my local CU about 4 months back and I am a PIF customer (didn't even want the cards, to tell you the truth!made me nervous). Then, I started getting calls from a Riddle and Associates for some accounts that I had just had removed from my CR's because they weren't mine, and I sent them a letter stating such. Then another surprise for me; I got an early morning wakeup call on my work cell phone from another "law firm" asking for $2200 on my old WaMu card. Citibank was apparently the credit issuer and I happen to have consolidated federal student loans with them that I pay on time every month, so its no surprise they found me, I guess! I settled for the final balance on the card which was $1298 after I verified that it was my debt.

So here's my question....I know that I have at least one other WaMu card, same circumstances but only a $400 CL out there somewhere. I also have a few phone bills popping up on some of my CR's: AT&T for $1040 (although I'm 90% positive I made payments through a CA and paid that one off while in college, I'm about to dispute) and also a Verizon for around $800. Both of these would have gone delinquent around 2003, but the Verizon was reaged and reported in 2007 on my EQ. How would I go about sending out settlement offers and what is the best % to offer? The Wamu I could probably pay in full, and I would like to deal with the OC's if possible. I should hopefully be getting a bonus next month and I'm not doing a huge Christmas, so I'd like to just pay these off as a present to myself, especially because I'm sure things will get worse when they realize I can pay them, and I'm not going to feel like I'm being hunted again.

And a second question...I've just recently heard about the 1099 and the claiming of settlements as income....I didn't do this with my settlements 3 years ago, but this settlement was pretty substantial. Do I wait for them to send me something or what should I be looking for when tax time comes?

Thank you so much for reading!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Old stuff popping up...how to arrange Settlements.

First thing you want to do is stop talking to them on the phone!!!!!  You will only accept communication in writing, period!

Second thing you want to do is DV each of these collectors - no more offers to settle until they produce paperwork.

Third, track down if Collectors must be licensed in your state and also your state's SOL - both where you lived when you opened the account and where you live now.

I just used this DV for a class and also for a friend:

Midland Credit Management
5775 Roscoe Ct
San Diego, CA92123-1356

Re: Acct Ref. # *******

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is being sent to you in response to noticing an entry by your company on my credit reports. Be advised that this is not a refusal to pay, but a notice sent pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 USC 1692g Sec. 809 (b) that your claim is disputed and validation is requested.

This is a request for VALIDATION made pursuant to the above named Title and Section. I respectfully request that your offices provide me with competent evidence that I have any legal obligation to pay you to all of include the following:

• What the money you say I owe is for
  • Copies of any papers that show I agreed to pay what you say I owe;
  • Verification or copy of any judgment, if applicable
  • Identify the original creditor;
  • Proof that you are licensed to collect in my state by providing your license numbers();  and Registered Agent’s Name and Address
  • Proof that your company owns the debt/or has been assigned the debt. (Proof showing you are legally entitled to collect this particular debt from me.) This is basic contract law.
  • Payment history to include: my payment history with original Creditor, what the amount of the debt was when the creditor assigned the debt to your company, and what fees/interest has been added onto this debt and how you/they determined these fees. This requirement was established by the case Fields v. Wilber Law Firm, Donald L. Wilber and Kenneth Wilber, USCA-02-C-0072, 7th Circuit Court, Sept 2004..
  • A Copy of the original signed contract, loan agreement or credit card application. This is also basic contract law.

At this time I will also inform you that if your offices have reported unvalidated information to any of the Credit  Bureaus, this action might constitute fraud under both Federal and State Laws. Due to this fact, if any negative mark is found on any of my credit reports by your company or the company that you represent I will not hesitate in bringing legal action against you for the following:

•  Violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act
  •  Violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act

If your offices are able to provide the proper documentation as requested, I will require at least 30 days investigating this information and during such time all collection activity must cease and desist.

Also during this validation period, if any action is taken which could be considered detrimental to any of my credit reports, I will consult with my legal counsel for suit. This includes any listing or any information sent to a credit reporting repository that could be inaccurate or unvalidated or verifying an account as accurate when in fact there is no provided proof that it is.

If your offices fail to respond to this validation request within 30 days from the date of your receipt, all references to this account must be deleted and completely removed from my credit file and a copy of such deletion request shall be sent to me immediately.

All future communications with me MUST be in writing and sent to the address noted in this letter by USPS.  There is to be no telephone contact initiated by your offices to my home or to my place of employment. If your offices attempt telephone communication with me including but not limited to:

• computer generated calls
  • calls and/or correspondence sent to or with any third parties

I will view this as harassment and I will have no choice but to file suit.

Best Regards,

TYPE YOUR NAME - DO NOT SIGN!

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Old stuff popping up...how to arrange Settlements.

Thank you Lady_Scarlet. I saved that letter as a template for further use.....and I have to say that I had a crazy moment there, because Midland is the CA that I just got rid of on my CR's!! I thought you were psychic for a second Smiley Very Happy
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.