Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old/wrong addresses on credit reports

tag
axxy
Regular Contributor

Old/wrong addresses on credit reports

Are old addresses ever worth disputing?  How would you go about disputing them?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Old/wrong addresses on credit reports

I think you can dispute using the normal process, but I'm not really sure.  You should be able to find threads on it by searching.

As to the point of it, it can be useful to avoid having old junk debts show up on your report.  One of the ways they can find you is by using the old addresses on your report.  If you know you don't have any old debts, I'm not sure it matters.

Also, be aware that if you have any creditors that you have not updated your address with, the address will likely get reinserted once that creditor reports again.  So you'll need to make sure your address is up to date with everyone.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

IIRC, EQ and TU will allow you to dispute them online. EX will not, you'll have to call or mail in the dispute form.

As Walt_K mentioned, if your current creditors are using the incorrect address, it will update again.
Message 3 of 9
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Also, your posted question is limited to old addresses, while the title of the thread mentions wrong addresses.  If an address is wrong, there could be several reasons to delete it.  A simple one would be so that you don't get tripped up on those ID questions when they ask you to identify places that you have previously lived.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 9
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

After my BK, I pulled all 3 reports. I disputed off all old numbers and addresses except for my current one on all 3 CB. There were addresses on there from 20 yrs ago. It can be done.
Message 5 of 9
starry1
Valued Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:
After my BK, I pulled all 3 reports. I disputed off all old numbers and addresses except for my current one on all 3 CB. There were addresses on there from 20 yrs ago. It can be done.
Experian wouldn't let me dispute off the old addresses and they go back to my college address 20 years ago.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 6 of 9
pisspoorcredit
New Contributor

Same Here! I just submitted my disputes to TU and EQ...EX a no go. They had an address from 1997 on my report...really?? LOL

Starting Score: 503
Current Score: 510
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 9
nax
Regular Contributor

I got every old address off all 3, by simply sending a letter to each CB with a copy of my drivers license and a utility bill both showing my current address. I explained to avoid fraud and for proper recording I only wanted correct and current information on my report. All gone except my current address.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

nax - did the same exact thing. You do not have to have all the former addresses. There is no requirement. Experian is stubborn so kick their butt!
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.